Can I use Lugol's dip as a precaution for my alveopora and gionopora?

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had polyp bailout on one of my goniopora and I dipped it in Lugol's solution today. Should I use it on my alveopora and goniopora as a precaution?

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had polyp bailout on one of my goniopora and I dipped it in Lugol's solution today. Should I use it on my alveopora and goniopora as a precaution?
The alveopora on the right is the one I want to know if I should dip in Lugol's. The goni on the right is the one I already dipped

Attachments

• 16743465069072999855127792506670.jpg
    16743465069072999855127792506670.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 53

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is a weak antiseptic. If the cause of the original goni issue was an injury or infection, then an iodine dip/bath is a good option. Dipping the other corals shouldn’t hurt anything but also remember that most corals don’t like being moved/handled, so you do run a small risk of stressing out otherwise healthy coral.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they look like I should dip them?
The one circled in red looks like it's dying and personally I'd be surprised if it recovers. Is the one in the yellow circle something alive? If so it looks almost dead as well. What did the one in the blue look like when you got it?

Gonis and alveos can be hard to keep... You may just have gotten some difficult specimens.

Screenshot_20230122-194013.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one circled in red looks like it's dying and personally I'd be surprised if it recovers. Is the one in the yellow circle something alive? If so it looks almost dead as well. What did the one in the blue look like when you got it?

Gonis and alveos can be hard to keep... You may just have gotten some difficult specimens.

Screenshot_20230122-194013.png
The one in the yellow circle died a while ago. The red one has recovered then it got worse again. The blue one recovered from when I got it. I got some corals when I bought the aquarium around 6 or 7 months ago and they were all kinda dying, but most of them improved quickly. The guy had his lights on full strength.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the yellow circle died a while ago. The red one has recovered then it got worse again. The blue one recovered from when I got it. I got some corals when I bought the aquarium around 6 or 7 months ago and they were all kinda dying, but most of them improved quickly. The guy had his lights on full strength.
Then what corals are you asking about??

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alveopora on the right is the one I want to know if I should dip in Lugol's. The goni on the right is the one I already dipped
They can't both be on the right if you only have 2 corals in the photo.

Like I said, the one I circled in red is not going to survive, IMO. If the blue looks ok to you, then leave it alone.

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't both be on the right if you only have 2 corals in the photo.

Like I said, the one I circled in red is not going to survive, IMO. If the blue looks ok to you, then leave it alone.
Sorry i meant the alveopora on the left. Is there any last ditch thing I could do for the one in red? Could it be bacterial or something like that?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i meant the alveopora on the left. Is there any last ditch thing I could do for the one in red? Could it be bacterial or something like that?
In my experience, no.

But maybe others will have some suggestions.

Back