Can I use macro algae to outcompete hair algae?

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have reducing levels of hair algae in our tank. Our nitrates are near 0 and phosphates are unmeasurable using the API test kit. We also have an active cleaning crew.

Sometimes it dies then a smaller colony comes back. Other times we pull it then it grows back.

We have some macro algae starting to grow on our rocks. We have lots and lots of coralline algae.

We have an emporer filter and a protein skimmer but do not have a sump.

I would like to add macro algae to the tank then pull the hair algae. My hope is that the macro algae will consume the nutrients that the hair algae had been consuming making it more difficult for it to grow back.

Is this a good plan?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to get a HOB refugium like the cpr ones. Because marco algae can take over your tank too.

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you thing about using a grapefruit sized gracilaria, two small shaving brushes, a small cluster of tea cups and a 4 to 6 inch red grape tree.

My goal is to replace ugly hair algae with more attractive strains.

Thanks

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. A lot of people (including myself) utilize macro algae, typically in a sump, to help with nutrient export and in the idea of out competing nuisance algaes

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the use of retrofitting an aquaclear 110 filter into a HOB fuge filter. Something you will want to try and figure out is what is causing the hair algae growth as well. Whether it is too much food, light, not enough flow, etc.

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tank to give you an idea of what I am trying to replace. @Randy Holmes-Farley will be glad to see that I moved the sponge into a shadowed area.

image.jpeg

Here is some of the macro algae that has emerged from the live rocks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of Macro algae has roots that are hard to remove from the rock. Would be best if you used a algae scrubber to help remove the hair algae in your tank. A properly design algae scrubber will out complete hair algae. But the Macro algae can not up take po4 fast enough to complete with hair algae.

OP
OP
BruceW

BruceW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the Macro algae can not up take po4 fast enough to complete with hair algae.

I understand that the baby macro algae will not out compete the hair algae but if I add a larger volume of additional macro algae than the volume of hair algae that I remove will it not help to reduce the amount of hair algae that grows back.

I want to reduce the hair algae but I do not want to eliminate it. We enjoy watching our lettuce nudibranch. We want to convert the thicket areas to well mowed lawns.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like your idea. There are some very attractive strains of macro algae that would be nice to look at. I also dont see a problem in trying it out. Pull what you can of the hair algae and replace it with something you think is pretty. Make sure to keep a close eye on the macros cause, as stated above, they can and will take over your tank as well. You would simply have to prune your "garden" just like anybody else with a regular refuge has to.
If it doesn't work, or you hate it, then you can just pull it out too. Besides, using an Algae Turf Scrubber would be difficult in a simple setup like yours i think. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back