Can I use old tank water for my new setup ?

Leez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little bit of 20 gallons of old water from my old setup which I have taken down from March. Can I use this old water to cycle my new nano setup ? I’m asking because I have been leaving it to stay in my old sump without light and circulation for months and it has a strong smell ;Vomit. I’m thinking of using it to cycle the new tank and then do 50% water change each week after the cycle to get rid of the strong smell.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be gross but I don't know if there is anything in the water that is producing ammonia. I'd test it first before adding it. Also the water column has little beneficial bacteria so you won't be adding any bacteria, really just whatever nutrients are in the water

OP
OP
Leez

Leez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be gross but I don't know if there is anything in the water that is producing ammonia. I'd test it first before adding it. Also the water column has little beneficial bacteria so you won't be adding any bacteria, really just whatever nutrients are in the water
Leave the smell aside, do you think the tank will start to cycle with some circulation and the right temp ?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back