Can I use these medications at the same time??

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 40g QT with a sunsun 304b with a hippo tang, fox face, file fish, cowfish, and porcupine puffer. I’ve had coppersafe running at 1.55-1.57 for the past week and got rid of ich on my hippo. Also added prazipro 48 hours ago, and am looking to use maracyn 2 to help treat my fox face for redness on his skin, and anything else I might not be able to see for extra precaution. Is it safe to start dosing the maracyn after adding the prazipro 48 hours ago? Slowly raised copper over about 5-6 days and all my fish have been eating great (thankfully). I just want to make sure before I add the maracyn 2. Thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Coppersafe dose is only about 3/4 of a full dose - I've had issues with Coppersafe not working well unless it is dosed at full strength. The prazipro will have dissipated by now. I've dosed Coppersafe and Maracyn 2 with no issues, so you should be good to go.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BaileyB

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Coppersafe dose is only about 3/4 of a full dose - I've had issues with Coppersafe not working well unless it is dosed at full strength. The prazipro will have dissipated by now. I've dosed Coppersafe and Maracyn 2 with no issues, so you should be good to go.

Jay
Awesome thanks for the reply Jay, I’m only at 1.5 because I’ve heard of porcupines and some cowfish being copper sensitive. The ich on my hippo has gone away, so I assumed it was working, would you suggest raising the copper level up just below 2.0? Also do you do water changes after prazipro? I’ve seen some do to get rid of dead flukes but don’t see any in my QT, do you suggest a water change even though the bottle’s directions don’t mention to?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the reply Jay, I’m only at 1.5 because I’ve heard of porcupines and some cowfish being copper sensitive. The ich on my hippo has gone away, so I assumed it was working, would you suggest raising the copper level up just below 2.0? Also do you do water changes after prazipro? I’ve seen some do to get rid of dead flukes but don’t see any in my QT, do you suggest a water change even though the bottle’s directions don’t mention to?
I have a porcupine in one of my quarantine systems and it goes through coppersafe over and over again (grin). I quarantine cowfish in coppersafe as well. Cowfish come in with all sorts of crud, they really need copper. I’d take them up to full dose for at least two weeks if they were my fish.
Prazipro and water changes - probably a good idea, but not because of the prazi, but rather the solvent they use - a glycol as I recall, adds to the tanks bioload.
Jay

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back