Can I use this rock.

whammack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 90 gallon with refugium. I bought used dried out live rock so I'm doing a bleach cure on the rock. The rock needs just a couple flat rock added for the aquascape I want to do. I live in Kansas and I have tons of limestone rock with fossils in them. My question is can I use this limestone rock in my tank?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 90 gallon with refugium. I bought used dried out live rock so I'm doing a bleach cure on the rock. The rock needs just a couple flat rock added for the aquascape I want to do. I live in Kansas and I have tons of limestone rock with fossils in them. My question is can I use this limestone rock in my tank?
Depends... first off, many varieties of limestone are extremely dense , heavy and not very porous. So I wouldn't load up with a lot of it...also can be high in phosphates. If you intend on trying , ya might experiment soaking it for a week or two in some clean salt water then run a test and see where the phos level is?
PH is another factor, should be on par with normal reef parameters but might spike it.

OP
OP
W

whammack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends... first off, many varieties of limestone are extremely dense , heavy and not very porous. So I wouldn't load up with a lot of it...also can be high in phosphorus. If you intend on trying , ya might experiment soaking it for a week or two in some clean salt water then run a test and see where the phosphorus level is?
PH is another factor, should be on par with normal reef parameters but might spike it
Thank you for the advice. That's what I will do. It's just 2 thin flat piece's won't add much just some structure.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so afraid I'm on on unwanted Critters in my tank, when I first set up 9 months ago. I was literally panicked about it. So I used all Marco Rock. In the past nine months, I'm wondered if I could have somehow used just a smidgen of live rock. But I know it's not the amount of rock used, it's what's contained in it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back