Can I use this schedule 40 with schedule 80 pipes?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wanted to use the above fittings to build part of my return line, these pieces will be used right above my return pipe. I am pretty much recreating what is in the image attached. is this the correct pieces to do this shown in the image? or does anyone have a name/link to the same piece in my image? the pieces in the link look different compared to the ones in that image taken from a YouTube video.

also is it better to use schedule 80 for all plumbing on a Red Sea 170? or does it not matter? is it okay to mix schedule 40 and 80 pieces and glue them together? I assume it doesn't have any bad effect?

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 10.08.33 PM.png

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wanted to use the above fittings to build part of my return line, these pieces will be used right above my return pipe. I am pretty much recreating what is in the image attached. is this the correct pieces to do this shown in the image? or does anyone have a name/link to the same piece in my image? the pieces in the link look different compared to the ones in that image taken from a YouTube video.

also is it better to use schedule 80 for all plumbing on a Red Sea 170? or does it not matter? is it okay to mix schedule 40 and 80 pieces and glue them together? I assume it doesn't have any bad effect?

I can’t answer all your questions but I’ve mixed schedule 80 with schedule 40 and haven’t experienced any problems with it.

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can mix sch 40 and sch 80 pipe and fittings. The inner diameter of the sch 80 is thicker making it more rigid as well as the increase of water pressure. But the amount of pressure in our reef tank is no where near the point of burst. If a leak does occur it would be user error on attaching pipes and fitting together. Look up furniture grade color PVC or formufit PVC. Almost identical to what BRS sells if not that.

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can mix schedule 40 and 80 together. Schedule 80 has the same outside diameter, but has thicker walls, so the inner diameter ends up being smaller than schedule 40. Schedule 40 will give you better flow rates for the same size pipe, too.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can mix sch 40 and sch 80 pipe and fittings. The inner diameter of the sch 80 is thicker making it more rigid as well as the increase of water pressure. But the amount of pressure in our reef tank is no where near the point of burst. If a leak does occur it would be user error on attaching pipes and fitting together. Look up furniture grade color PVC or formufit PVC. Almost identical to what BRS sells if not that.
okay thank you to all for answering, it helped me make a decision.
but the other question I had was should I plumb the entire tank in 3/4 inch pipe or 1 inch and then connect reducers for when I want to add reactors? I am building a manifold too. I am hoping everyone sees this reply.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

but the other question I had was should I plumb the entire tank in 3/4 inch pipe or 1 inch and then connect reducers for when I want to add reactors? I am building a manifold too. I am hoping everyone sees this reply.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drains are usually larger than returns if thats what you mean. so you shouldnt make the entire tank the same size

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drains are usually larger than returns if thats what you mean. so you shouldnt make the entire tank the same size
okay then I will make the manifold and return line 3/4 and the drain line 1 inch. I am hard plumbing a Red Sea 170 so I will need to find the fitting for that

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It depends on your return pump and the total head of your plumbing. On your return, using a larger diameter pipe will reduce the total head, which could mean that you can get a higher GPH (if the limiting factor is from the total head); so if you need more flow out of the same pump, 1" plumbing could help over 3/4", or if you have a DC pump then you might be able to run it at a lower setting. For your drain line, the minimum size plumbing should be the size of the plumbing going through bulkhead. It's generally not necessary to have the plumbing from the drain bulkhead be any larger (unless you have a setup with lots of unions/valves/elbows/etc), since the drain hole size will determine the maximum flow rate achievable in a gravity-fed system.

Having a smaller return than the drain doesn't matter, as long as the flow rate returning to your DT is not more than the flow rate that the drain can handle. It's still possible to overwhelm the drain with a higher return flow rate, even when the return is smaller than the drain, so it's more about properly tuning your return pump to not pump more water than the drain can handle. However, if you have two holes of differing sizes, it's best to use the larger hole for the drain. If they're the same size, then it doesn't matter. The main factor is the size of the hole, as that determines the maximum flow rate achievable. A larger diameter pipe (that is reduced in size at the bulkhead) will only help to reduce the total head.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your return pump and the total head of your plumbing. On your return, using a larger diameter pipe will reduce the total head, which could mean that you can get a higher GPH (if the limiting factor is from the total head); so if you need more flow out of the same pump, 1" plumbing could help over 3/4", or if you have a DC pump then you might be able to run it at a lower setting. For your drain line, the minimum size plumbing should be the size of the plumbing going through bulkhead. It's generally not necessary to have the plumbing from the drain bulkhead be any larger (unless you have a setup with lots of unions/valves/elbows/etc), since the drain hole size will determine the maximum flow rate achievable in a gravity-fed system.

Having a smaller return than the drain doesn't matter, as long as the flow rate returning to your DT is not more than the flow rate that the drain can handle. It's still possible to overwhelm the drain with a higher return flow rate, even when the return is smaller than the drain, so it's more about properly tuning your return pump to not pump more water than the drain can handle. However, if you have two holes of differing sizes, it's best to use the larger hole for the drain. If they're the same size, then it doesn't matter. The main factor is the size of the hole, as that determines the maximum flow rate achievable. A larger diameter pipe (that is reduced in size at the bulkhead) will only help to reduce the total head.
Okay thank you for that info, I’ve bought 3/4 inch piping for my return line and 1 inch for my main drain line. I have a Reef Octopus VarioS 4 so I think I’ve got plenty of power to run whatever reactors off the manifold I’m building, probably will add them in the future.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back