Can I vodka dose for Phosphates while waiting for my reactor part?

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my 75G go for awhile because of a depressingly overwhelming Caulerpa outbreak. So now that I have that problem taken care of I'm trying to revitalize my tank. So first I found that my nitrates were sky high since the algae was gone. Set up a Sulfer denitrator which reduced my nitrates from 80-100 down to 5ppm now. So now I've moved on to my Phosphates. Using a Fluval PO4 test kit my Phosphates came back at 1ppm. I have an Aquamaxx GFO reactor, but one of the plastic thumb screws is broken. So while I'm trying to get a replacement for that could I dose vodka to lower my phosphates? I do have a Reef Octopus 90 HOB skimmer on the tank which I know is a requirement for dosing. Any thoughts on reducing my Phosphates for a week while I'm getting my reactor back online?

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my 75G go for awhile because of a depressingly overwhelming Caulerpa outbreak. So now that I have that problem taken care of I'm trying to revitalize my tank. So first I found that my nitrates were sky high since the algae was gone. Set up a Sulfer denitrator which reduced my nitrates from 80-100 down to 5ppm now. So now I've moved on to my Phosphates. Using a Fluval PO4 test kit my Phosphates came back at 1ppm. I have an Aquamaxx GFO reactor, but one of the plastic thumb screws is broken. So while I'm trying to get a replacement for that could I dose vodka to lower my phosphates? I do have a Reef Octopus 90 HOB skimmer on the tank which I know is a requirement for dosing. Any thoughts on reducing my Phosphates for a week while I'm getting my reactor back online?
i dont see why not or even dose phosphate e or something if you're only trying to lower phosphates

OP
OP
StlSalt

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see why not or even dose phosphate e or something if you're only trying to lower phosphates

Thing is, I already have the vodka. ;) That's why I was going to use it. Is there one of those cool sticky threads on dosing vodka? I couldn't find one and I've never done it before.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked with your local home improvement stores to see if they have the screws?

Water change. It's not that effecient but GFO in a bag where there's high flow might help a little bit. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. 1 mg/l is high but not harmful short term. See Richard Ross' article his acro dominate tank was sitting about where your's is in his article. Here's some more links on phosphates or phosphorus and corals

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is just wait until a week until you’ve got your gfo reactor working again. Dosing vodka can open up another door in terms of problems (bacterial blooms, cyano, bottoming out nitrates), especially if you’ve never done it before. You’ve let your tank go for awhile. I don’t think one week with make much difference and would be better in terms of not making too many changes in a short period of time.

OP
OP
StlSalt

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked with your local home improvement stores to see if they have the screws?

That's what I'm going to end up doing. So you can't find the actual "replacement screw" anywhere. So it appears the screw is an M5 x 20mm .8 thread pitch. So I ordered a thumb screw supposedly with those specs from Amazon. What I got was too big, so I thought I ordered the wrong size and went with an M4 next time, or course that was too small. So I tried one more time on Amazon thinking the 3rd time would be the charm, and I got a cheap unviersal remote. Obvious that wouldn't fit the screw hole in the lid. So I'm going to go up to Lowes and match it up. I still need to get a low ghp pump too, I used the old one for a UV light on another tank.

Thanks for the light reading. LOL

OP
OP
StlSalt

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is just wait until a week until you’ve got your gfo reactor working again. Dosing vodka can open up another door in terms of problems (bacterial blooms, cyano, bottoming out nitrates), especially if you’ve never done it before. You’ve let your tank go for awhile. I don’t think one week with make much difference and would be better in terms of not making too many changes in a short period of time.

You see I didn't mean to buy any new coral while I was getting everything back in sync but what had happened was that they got a real nice rock with 4 Rainbow Yumas at my LFS. It came in that day and it wasn't going to last long. I have a nice Yuma growing right now it's almost tripled in size since I got it 2 months ago but it was free. I've wanted these rainbow Yumas for awhile now and when the chance presented itself I couldn't say no. Now I'm freaking out cause I have my current dream coral of the week in my tank and I don't want it to fail. BTW none of them have changed appearance or anything since I added them. I should probably just go up to Lowes tomorrow, get the screw, take the pump back form the UV filter on my other tank and start my GFO back up tomorrow. Probably not the time to experiment with vodka unless it's to calm my nerves huh?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back