Can ICH Travel On Coral ?

vincentthai.vo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ich travel on coral ? If so can we dip the coral in like revive to kill it ? I need to know asap please

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich, like all external parasites, has a tomont stage (think of it like parasite eggs) which can encyst upon "glass, plastic, gravel, metal, wood, and 'shell materials' including staghorn corals." - Peter Burgess 1992 study

So it's logical to conclude tomonts can stick to any hard surface. Think snail/hermit shells, SPS/LPS "stony corals", even soft corals have calcium needles in their tissue.

IMO; It's unlikely any coral dip eradicates tomonts since not even copper can do that due to the hard cyst. The only thing you can do is place all corals/inverts in a fishless frag tank for 76 days to wait the tomonts out. Once theronts are released from the tomonts and they fail to find a fish host to feed upon within 48 hrs, ich's life cycle ends.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to derail the thread but would that ably to velvet and brooklynela?

Yes; ich, velvet, brook & uronema all have a tomont stage. You can also bring in flukes/worms on a coral, as those lay eggs which invariably fall out of a fish and settle elsewhere. Coral dips DO NOT eradicate eggs of Red Planaria flatworms (for example) so I doubt it would kill flukes eggs either. :eek:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ich travel on coral ? If so can we dip the coral in like revive to kill it ? I need to know asap please

1. yes 2. no

It can in the corals water
Yes but not that way exclusively
I think if you dip it will kill the ich
nope
I'm going to ask @Humblefish for you!

Good Idea! Post number 5 for the answer, just figured I'd quote to pull these guys back in...

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok its clear that ich could be on a plug or rock or any other “material”

Could ich tomont travel on sps tissue?

Asking because got a few frags and i dont trust my *** tank for 72days.

Plan was to break frags of sps and glue them to new plugs so that way only sps travels to dt?

ZachH455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apart from QT in a fallow tank for the 6-8 week life cycle nothing will get rid of it with 100% certainty. Most systems are running with ich in the tank, but as long as nothing is stressing your fish (bad water quality) and they are well fed/have a healthy slime coat they should be fine. I have a hippo tang that has the occasional bout of ich and nothing else in the tank has ever gotten it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back