Can ick present as only one, two, or three spots!?

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 3 year old Naso Tang I've kept since a baby and he's a big guy with an insatiable appetite. He's had small occurrences of lympho that has left his back fin a little damaged, but I sometimes find a couple spots that are not large enough to be lympho on him. They have the "sand grain" appearance of ick. They disappear after a couple days, but he does get them every once in a while. It's never more than maybe 3. Can ick show in such low numbers? Or is this just lympho in a small version? His behavior and appetite has always remained the same. No other fish are affected.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure - ich is sometimes "managed" either by accident of design, and kept at low levels. This results in fish showing a spot here and there, then now spots, then a few come back, for months at a time. But, as you pointed out, not all white spots are ich. If the spot is in the same place on the fish for more than 36 hours, it probably isn't ich.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back