Can lighting mess up coraline growth?

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for your lights to kill your coraline? I'm asking this because for a while, I had good coraline growth. It really spread everywhere in the DT. Then it started to bleach and die off. I'm not a frequent water changer, as I'm trying to do the triton method.

I thought ALL my coraline was dying, but I looked in the sump today and it's growing all over the back glass there. The only real difference here is the lights. Now that I'm looking closer, I see some coraline in the DT, but it's on the underside of rocks, powerheads, etc....that seems weird to me.

Water parameters have been pretty stable:

NO3: 0 (Yes, I'm trying to remove as much algae from the sump as possible as I think this is sucking it all up, even dropped the duration of lighting on the Sump to slow the overall growth.)
PO4: .08
Alk: 10.4 (trying to get it back down to 10 by slowing the DOS)
Ca: 440
Mg: 1440
Note: I have an ICP test coming in the mail today, so I should be able to see how accurate these Red Sea tests are.

Here's my lighting profiles from the AI:

Display Tank

AI.jpg
AI2.jpg

Sump:
AISump.jpg
AISump2.jpg

I would think that if this was a NO3 problem, I wouldn't getting coraline ANYWHERE in the system.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why don't you cut your light intensity and duration for a month and re evaluate?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back