Can mixed saltwater be stored long term and do salt mixes expire? | 52FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jenkinscrew2578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mixing up 50 Gallons at a time in my garage where it often gets over 100 degrees. It usually takes me 7-8 weeks to use up the entire container. I test parameters after every water change and they're always right where they need to be. So I've noticed zero ill effects from this.
Same here...I use Fritz.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RSCP salt. It starts at 12.8dKH. After 3.25 hours, it goes down to around 9.0. Red Sea recommends not mixing over 4 hours. This is due to precipitation. I've also mixed and stored. The organics do cause bacterial blooms. The bacteria can cause issues in the display. Also, there was a lot of precipitate build up in my storage canister. I currently use immediately after mixing for 3.25 hours.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store as much as 200 gallons of saltwater at a time in my garage though right now I'm at 135 gallons. This is mixed with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I run an automatic 3 gallon a day water change on my 225 gallon main display and need water on hand for water changes on my 3 QT setups, a fluval 13, a fluval 5 and a Red Sea Reefer 170. I circulate whatever I have in storage for a total of 3 hours a day, with no more than 6 hours between the circulations. I do not heat my saltwater but the temperature remains at about ambient.

I try to maintain my salinity at about 1.026 sg. I've gone as much as about a month before adding to the batch and my dkH remains fairly steady at 10 with calcium levels at 460. Again, this is with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, this stuff seems to remain fairly stable.

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting question.

I imagine that the special salt mixes sitting around stagnant would not be thst good in terms of mix potency of individual ions. Different ions and components would settle into different stratified layers. Also it would also produce precipitates normally when the ions encounter crystalline structures and form bonds with Incidental crystals. IE. Calcium. Magnesium. Carbonate Etc.
I surmise the solution can still be used if one mixed it well before introducing back into tank. And even if not it would not seriously harm the tank. Just thst certain parameters may be increased or decreased. Salt Na CL. Itself is a natural preservative. So my guess is that normal salt solutions can be used even if mixed weeks go.

This of course would not apply to those salt mixes tu active components

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My friend sell a IO salt form 2014 production, is oke to using it?
That’s a good question. My personal recommendation- CALL AQUARIUM SYSTEMS who makes the salt and pose that question to them. Heck- they may even send you something free

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back