Can my clown fish kill my anemone?

Mburns11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mates pair clown fish have been on my new anemone since I put it in the tank yesterday. The pic shows Ginger nudging it within minutes. Both Ginger & Fred have been in it all night! I told the guy about my clowns loving all my Xenia and polyps to death so they wanted to host for sure. So he got me the biggest anemone from the tank.
I acclimated it for 2 hours. The lps has had it for a month and before that it came from one of their employee’s tank. It is a nice size if the clown would let it breathe a minute. I saw a picture of the anemone it came from and wow, it was amazing!
I believe the anemone is very healthy but I don’t know what to do about the clowns constantly on it.
Side note, I needed fish food, supported my local lps, and I was impressed that everyone was keeping their distance.

58012A6A-AFE6-4ABD-A1A6-BCFB464938E9.jpeg D1AAD9A7-10FD-4F91-922C-6D2C57E0D8FA.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns are quite big and can definitely bother nems. Looks like a BTA. But I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve had maroons jump into recently split BTAs and they did ok.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can most certainly annoy a nem to death. Specially your large maroons(one of the most aggressive clowns in the family).

The nem can typically handle it, but it can happen.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! They are wonderful! I just want everyone to live happily together
FWIW, I throw all of my RBTA splits into another tank. The maroon will pick up the nem and rehouse it. After it opens, it bathed in it. It’ll feed it about once a week. Weird relationship but they work out.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can definitely happen, especially with maroons. I would keep an eye on it, and if it starts to go downhill I would separate them as best you can.

OP
OP
M

Mburns11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the help! Came home from work to see they are giving it a little room, I guess because the room is getting lighter. I’m now trying to program my lights as they suggested yesterday to help with the transition. My tank parameters are fairly in line with theirs, hence why I went ahead a bought it. Updates to follow!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to make sure the nems are at least twice the size of the clowns before introduction. I believe the recommended is 3-4 times, but I play on the wild side. :cool:
Seriously though, watch carefully. Beautiful pair!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back