Can my fish get TOO fat?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have a new Scribbled Rabbitfish in the same QT/HT as a Hippo Tang I'm trying to pack full of nutrition, so the Rabbit is eating very well. He's a friggin' pig. Looking quite wide bodied lately, which made me wonder - can our fish get too fat? Or can they be trusted to regulate their eating?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can and do get too fat.

In nature, there are times when plenty of food is available, and then there are times when food is lean. Most fish will consume as much as they can when food is available because they don't know if and when their next meal will become available. This strategy works in the wild because resources often even themselves out over time. However, this strategy can be problematic in aquaria. Food is almost always available and the fish will eat more than they should. This can lead to health problems for the fish.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think that for a long time I've been underfeeding for fear of polluting the tank. Need to work on finding the balance now.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found its better for the fish and water quality to feed frequent small meals than it is to feed only one or two bigger meals a day.

FloodWaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make a treadmill for fish? Jokes aside, I find it really tough to find the perfect amount to feed. I have even more trouble with fast tangs that are like vacuum cleaner that out compete the more chill fish. Classic example is when I have 2 nori clips for my tangs and crack clam open for my puffer... those tangs will bully the puffer for his food and then go back to the nori. It has gotten to the point where the puffer is eating their nori out of spite some days.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as TOO fat. It's called big being fat n happy. Take you pick. :D:p:cool:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe agreed
feeding freshwater fish to marine ones, that kind of fat is bad. its the super size me technique of goldfish to lionfish circa 1996 :)

fat from freshwater feeding is much worse physiologically I bet than fat from marine

id never fatten either way, they need a forage mode as stated above

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back