Can my SunSun JUP-01 9W UV Sterilizer kill dinos?

ReefNuget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SunSun UV Sterilizer from when I use to keep freshwater fish, and I currently have an outbreak of Prorocentrum Dinos in my 32 biocube mixed reef, does anyone know if this will work to help get rid of my dinos or any suggestions on affordable sterilizers. My tank is currently blacked out right now. This is my first time dealing with Dinos and I really don't know what I'm doing.

This is the sterilizer I have:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can try but don’t expect much. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
ReefNuget

ReefNuget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try but don’t expect much. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
I don’t know if this is lucky or not but, as soon as the lights turn off for the night after like 30 min the dinos are completely gone like no sign they were even there do I don’t think I’m gonna have to stir it up, I was just wondering if my sterilizer was strong enough. But thank you for the advice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t know if this is lucky or not but, as soon as the lights turn off for the night after like 30 min the dinos are completely gone like no sign they were even there do I don’t think I’m gonna have to stir it up, I was just wondering if my sterilizer was strong enough. But thank you for the advice.
They are photosynthetic and feed off lights hence the reason for a blackout period

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back