can my yellow tang be "un sump banished"? Will it work out?

what should I do with my tang

• throw him back in and let them figure it out themselves

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • reintroduce and use an acclimation box

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • return to the LFS, it won't work out

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • other - please explain below

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to remove my yellow tang over the weekend and put him in the sump.

He constantly tail slaps a recently added one spot foxface. He is relentlessly charging at him.

The foxface doesn't cower and stays out, flare his fins, but takes the beating.

I know this is my fault, as I should have added the foxface first, but I didn't.

both the tang and the foxface are about 2 1/2" - 3".

Now that the tang is in the sump, the foxface AND my tailspot blenny are all over the tank. I didn't realize that the blenny stayed in in "hole" because of the tang. I would see the tang occasionally by the blenny's hole, but no abuse.

So my question is, should I try to re-introduce the tang?

Perhaps an acclimation box for a few days?

Has anyone ever removed, then reintroduced an aggressive yellow tang?

He is beautiful and healthy, and I really don't want to trade him in, but I may have no choice.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would try both the acclimation box trick as well as the mirror trick. I've successfully had, Blue, yellow and foxface multiple times as it's my favorite combo.

BellaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an obnoxious Chocolate Tang that I had in my tank before my Foxface. It did the same thing "Tail slapping and shaking" He eventually got bored of it once he realized my Foxface wan't going to be intimidated by him. They had a "showdown" every once and a while, but a few flashes of the spines put a quick end to it. I'm personally a believer in "Let the fish sort it out themselves." Granted, none of them are getting injured, or it's effecting their quality of life so to say. No fish should have to be afraid to come out and eat or enjoy the tank. The fish's well being and happiness take top priority. Tangs can be real bullies when it comes to introducing new fish after them. Luckily, mine would chill out after a day or two of letting the newcomers know who's boss.

I would give reintroducing them a try and let them get used to one another. If the aggression continues at a high level it may be time to think about removing someone.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the mirror trick before you get rid of him. I have one that is super mean too. I used the mirrors to distract him until he forgot about trying to kill my Flame Angel.

BellaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. If you do have to get rid of the Yellow Tang, maybe you would be interested in a Tomini? Tomini Tangs are really fun smaller tangs that have been known to actually form bonds with Foxfaces. I had one, and the pair of them were inseparable. Was entertaining to watch.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a mirror to attach at on end of the tank.

My gut says to reintroduce him...……...and the poor guy looks terrified in the sump.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the mirror trick before you get rid of him. I have one that is super mean too. I used the mirrors to distract him until he forgot about trying to kill my Flame Angel.
The tang pays no attention to anyone else in the tank. I even rubberband nori to some rock on each end of the tank, every day.

I think I will get him back into the tank in an acclimation box for a few days, the release him with the mirror on one end.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang pays no attention to anyone else in the tank. I even rubberband nori to some rock on each end of the tank, every day.

I think I will get him back into the tank in an acclimation box for a few days, the release him with the mirror on one end.

Hopefully he’s had time to forget. :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to remove my yellow tang over the weekend and put him in the sump.

He constantly tail slaps a recently added one spot foxface. He is relentlessly charging at him.

The foxface doesn't cower and stays out, flare his fins, but takes the beating.

I know this is my fault, as I should have added the foxface first, but I didn't.

both the tang and the foxface are about 2 1/2" - 3".

Now that the tang is in the sump, the foxface AND my tailspot blenny are all over the tank. I didn't realize that the blenny stayed in in "hole" because of the tang. I would see the tang occasionally by the blenny's hole, but no abuse.

So my question is, should I try to re-introduce the tang?

Perhaps an acclimation box for a few days?

Has anyone ever removed, then reintroduced an aggressive yellow tang?

He is beautiful and healthy, and I really don't want to trade him in, but I may have no choice.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

I removed an aggressive Yellow Tang from my 90 gallon about 2 months ago. That butthead only had to contend with a Coral Beauty, Melanurus Wrasse and a Pajama Cardinal, was fed seaweed and reef frenzy multiple times a day and it still wasn't enough to keep it happy. It took a chunk out of my Coral Beauty's lower fin and then slapped it multiple times with it's tail scalpel (with some visible damage to the CB). The worst part about it was that the CB and the Yellow Tang were in the same holding tank for a few weeks at the LFS and were added to my 90 gallon at the same time (and were added last). The point is that I literally couldn't have done anything more to ensure that the Yellow Tang wouldn't be aggressive and within a month it was pulling that crap, it would also hover over my Melanurus Wrasse and intimidate it and flare it's fins. Oddly enough it never bothered my Pajama Cardinal. Either way, I actually replaced the Yellow Tang with a One Spot Foxface and have been much happier with it. When someone with a good sized 4 foot long tank or larger is looking for a Yellow Hair Algae Remover, I now recommend the One Spot as an alternative to the Yellow Tang. My recommendation? GET RID OF THE JERK!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed an aggressive Yellow Tang from my 90 gallon about 2 months ago. That butthead only had to contend with a Coral Beauty, Melanurus Wrasse and a Pajama Cardinal, was fed seaweed and reef frenzy multiple times a day and it still wasn't enough to keep it happy. It took a chunk out of my Coral Beauty's lower fin and then slapped it multiple times with it's tail scalpel (with some visible damage to the CB). The worst part about it was that the CB and the Yellow Tang were in the same holding tank for a few weeks at the LFS and were added to my 90 gallon at the same time (and were added last). The point is that I literally couldn't have done anything more to ensure that the Yellow Tang wouldn't be aggressive and within a month it was pulling that crap, it would also hover over my Melanurus Wrasse and intimidate it and flare it's fins. Oddly enough it never bothered my Pajama Cardinal. Either way, I actually replaced the Yellow Tang with a One Spot Foxface and have been much happier with it. When someone with a good sized 4 foot long tank or larger is looking for a Yellow Hair Algae Remover, I now recommend the One Spot as an alternative to the Yellow Tang.

Thanks for the story! I appreciate you sharing your experience [emoji2]

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got both a fox face and yellow tang in the same tank. The foxface follows the tang around and both seem really happy together.

Send me a pic!

I will tape to my tank so they can see how it’s supposed to work!

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chocolate tang has been in my sump for about a month now waiting on a friends tank I did think about adding him but I’m scare he might revert to his agrresion I had added a potters angel he went bananas on him

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bronxreef good test might be to use a drain basket acclimation. You can leave them in there for a few days and see how they react when the other fish swim up to check out the baskets. Or if you have a big trap/acclimation box that is clear that might be best. At least that way you can see how it would react without the hassle of having to re-catch it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time out trick has worked well for me in the past . However this last yellow tang I had was impossidle ! I had the fish in a separate tank for over 2 months . Then I partitioned off thedisplay tank for another 2 weeks. Once the eggcrate was removed ,it was on the attack in seconds . That fish isn't around anymore .

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It really depends.
I would leave him somewhere else for a while till the foxface gets used to the tank.
I would then rearrange the tank some and then add him and see how it goes.
I have found most the time separation does not work and eventually it happens again.
The fact that the foxface is not scared means it may work out eventually because the tang will give up, so I think in this instance you have a chance it may work.
The real problem is that tail barb on the tang can do some damage.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a pic!

I will tape to my tank so they can see how it’s supposed to work!
IMG_3480.JPG

I think my luck was because they were introduced to the tank together and I had a huge Algae hair problem. Also, the LFS I buy from quarantines and treats their fish, so straight into the DT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large aquamedic fish trap that I can put the tang in for a few days.

I also have eggcrate cut to fit and block off 1/3 of the tank for the tang prior to re adding.

I will get the tang out of the sump tonight or tomorrow and get him back in the display in the trap box.

I will post updates here as I do things incase anyone is interested or has any further advice.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!!!!

Much appreciated.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Sohal tang. That will fix him up. It would be best in my opinion to add one more tang and the yellow together, if your tank is big enough. That way he'll have to choose who to beat on. Tangs have always worked for me in threes or fours.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the yellow tang is in the trap, in the tank.

I will add the mirror tomorrow.

I really hope this works out. [emoji20]
49e39630da9eb2bf09c175343aa91608.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back