Can Neptune FS-25 Flow Sensor Give Reading of Volume

jlfalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I am looking to measure the volume that goes through my RO prefilters so that I can better measure when I need to change them. I know they have several separate products on the market that would allow my to measure this but I would like to use my apex if I am able.

My question is, can the apex tell me how much water has went through my RO filter using the FS-25?

The sensor is reading flow and it keeps track of the time that flow is going through the sensor so it makes sense that it could monitor area under the curve and give a volume. Just because his seems like it should and that it would be easy to figure out still doesn't mean the apex will give me the numbers I want which would be gallons. So have any of you ever done this. I would like to have a highly automated RO/DI system that sends me alerts after the prefilters have processed so much water.

My other goals with the project are to have an automatic backflush for membrane descaling, a bypass to dump the first minute of water to help with TDS creep. This would also be used to flush new prefilters and RO membranes. I will also have a conductivity meter to measure water between DI stages and will shut the system down and alert me once TDS is making it through the resin. Overall should be a cool project to help ensure I am making quality RO/DI water.

OP
OP
J

jlfalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I looked and looked and couldn’t find anything so I posted here. After more searching I found my answer. It does not convert to gallons that have passed through. Bummer, it would have been nice to monitor filter life with the apex. Guess I’ll have to buy the additional stand alone monitor.

TYmonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I looked and looked and couldn’t find anything so I posted here. After more searching I found my answer. It does not convert to gallons that have passed through. Bummer, it would have been nice to monitor filter life with the apex. Guess I’ll have to buy the additional stand alone monitor.
Thanks for the follow-up. Sorry to dig up an old thread but its still as far as this topic has progressed. Do you by chance remember the source or have it book marked? I believe the area under each gph curve would give you a volume calculation.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the follow-up. Sorry to dig up an old thread but its still as far as this topic has progressed. Do you by chance remember the source or have it book marked? I believe the area under each gph curve would give you a volume calculation.
You are correct that you could integrate the flow sensor readings, but the problem is its too dang time consuming to be worth doing.

The only way I have found is to export the xml logs to an excel spreadsheet and then use that data to perform an integration of the flow. The xml logs are also somewhat short when we're talking something like an RODI so you would need to pull multiple different logs and then combine them together.

RODI use for a tank is consistent enough that it is far easier to just manually add up the amount of time roughly its on over say a week, multiply by flowrate, and them extrapolate for larger periods of time.

It would be real nice if Neptune built the integration feature in to calculate volume, but they didn't

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5B97C1F9-B6EC-488F-A6E4-ECFA47D18685.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back