Can paraguard be dosed in a fowlr tank

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI guys, I have a tank which is confirmed to be infected with velvet so during the fallow period I'm setting up two new fowlr tanks which are still cycling. Although I'll try to be as careful as possible not to cross contaminate, if the fowlr tanks do get unintentionally infected through cross contamination, can I dose Seachem Paraguard directly into the fowlr tank?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes*

It can damage the biofilter, but its rarely enough to cause an issue

also according to something i found "Seachem says not to use it on inverts or scaleless fish"
OK...I don't plan on having any inverts, but I was really concerned about the nitrifying bacteria

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paragaurd won't do anything for velvet or ich. I know cause i tried. You need to treat the fish with copper
In the back of my mind, that's kind of what I expected to hear...being able to dose an effective cure all medication into any tank is just a dream as far as I know...

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paragaurd won't do anything for velvet or ich. I know cause i tried. You need to treat the fish with copper
So, no it won't nor will it ever, this is to clarify about reef safe ich products (kick ich, paraguard, etc)

THEY WILL NOT TREAT ICH ON FISH THEY ONLY KILL THE FREE SWIMMING LIFESTAGE OF ICH

when treating ich in a DT, use MetroPlex with focus or a similar anti internal parasitic medication

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, no it won't nor will it ever, this is to clarify about reef safe ich products (kick ich, paraguard, etc)

THEY WILL NOT TREAT ICH ON FISH THEY ONLY KILL THE FREE SWIMMING LIFESTAGE OF ICH

when treating ich in a DT, use MetroPlex with focus or a similar anti internal parasitic medication
Thanks for warning me ahead of time!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the back of my mind, that's kind of what I expected to hear...being able to dose an effective cure all medication into any tank is just a dream as far as I know...

when treating ich in a DT, use MetroPlex with focus or a similar anti internal parasitic medication, this does not stop the free swimming ich though, so combine a free swimming killer with an anti internal med to kill all ich in the tank as they hatch and prevent any ich from replicating themselves.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

when treating ich in a DT, use MetroPlex with focus or a similar anti internal parasitic medication, this does not stop the free swimming ich though, so combine a free swimming killer with an anti internal med to kill all ich in the tank as they hatch and prevent any ich from replicating themselves.
Wow...you just saved me a lot of research time...thank you so much!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...you just saved me a lot of research time...thank you so much!
NP, and keep us updated! also, If you have space, a QT tank could be really useful, it doesn't have to be big, just ready to go in case of an emergency. you can add some bio balls to a uninfected and move them after a week or two into the QT to give a good seed, and just phantom feed a bit of fish food to feed the bacteria

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, if dosed and maintained well, a biofilter can survive copper without much harm. although it is a bit risky and can make the tank dangerous if you ever add any inverts

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be okay, keep some nitrifying bacteria and anti ammonia products on hand just in case the unlikely bacteria die off occurs if you wanna be safe
This time I'm going to make sure to have everything I could possibly need before something bad or unexpected happens. I really get attached to some of my fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back