Can pH buffer solution used for calibrating pH Probes be stored and reused without negatively affecting accuracy?

Indoor Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing pH buffer solution from the little sachets (6.86, 9.81) what would be the impact on accuracy if these buffer solutions were stored in sealed glass jars and re-used used for calibration at a later date?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH 9.81 will drift down as it absorbs CO2. I've used buffer solutions for years, just keeping them in the plastic containers they came in, but i did remeasure the pH of them occasionally. The pH 10 solutions drift into the 9.7-9.9 range.

If your meter allows you to input the pH of the buffers, that works fine. if it assumes a certain value, that's not fine.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pH 9.81 will drift down as it absorbs CO2. I've used buffer solutions for years, just keeping them in the plastic containers they came in, but i did remeasure the pH of them occasionally. The pH 10 solutions drift into the 9.7-9.9 range.

If your meter allows you to input the pH of the buffers, that works fine. if it assumes a certain value, that's not fine.
sorry, i think i misunderstood question.

i never have, but thought question was ,use solution, then store and reuse.
figured it would dilute solution.
correct?? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, i think i misunderstood question.

i never have, but thought question was ,use solution, then store and reuse.
figured it would dilute solution.
correct?? Thanks

If the probe has just a bit of RO/DI left on it from rinsing before you put it in (which is appropriate), then the dilution is minor and in general, the pH of buffers is resistant to the impact of dilution.

The pH of a buffer solution is determined by the ratio of concentration of the two ions creating the buffer (HA and A-, as an example). The governing equation is shown below.

pH= pKa+ log( [A−]/ [HA] )

where "pKa" is the pKa of the acid HA.

Thus, since pH is determined by the ratio of HA and A-, diluting them both equally has no substantial impact on pH.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to try and reuse pH buffer or use expired buffer but never had any confidence in my measurements.

Now I just use these. They create 20 mL of buffer solution each, are cheaper than any other lab grade pH buffer, and have the longest shelf life (4+ years):

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After mixing pH buffer solution from the little sachets (6.86, 9.81) what would be the impact on accuracy if these buffer solutions were stored in sealed glass jars and re-used used for calibration at a later date?
I do this now and BBC am able to successfully calibrate. I have now gone to the packet solutions

OP
OP
Indoor Reef

Indoor Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I don't have any plastic containers so I'll make up the buffers and store them in glass jam jars. When I come to the next calibration with fresh buffer sachets then I'll test the old solution and see how much its changed. This will maybe help me understand the resuability over time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back