Can powerheads go in pony tanks?

Claire Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a SpinStream head on your return flow(s). Return flow swirls around in a circle. I had 3 set up on an overhead manifold return flow sitting across the length of my 220 seahorse tank. Kept the rocks blown clean, gave a nice random flow, and didn’t use any electricity.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve turned off the powerhead until I can wrap it in some cloth or mesh to keep the flow down and to keep them from being sucked in. I’ll see how it works later in the week as I can’t prepare it right now. But the ponies are acclimating well to the tank. They are responding much more to the live brine shrimp than to the frozen mysis.

3411E7EE-2B0B-4CBE-86C6-758833875862.jpeg

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a SpinStream head on your return flow(s). Return flow swirls around in a circle. I had 3 set up on an overhead manifold return flow sitting across the length of my 220 seahorse tank. Kept the rocks blown clean, gave a nice random flow, and didn’t use any electricity.
So can I buy this and attach it to my return arms on my reef-ready tank? I have those flexible, segmented arms returning water from my sump... will this attach to those?
Sue

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried an experiment. I put the Sicce 2000 at a 90 degree angle from the glass on the opposite side of the tank from the return water in an attempt to see how the flow would work, and as to how they would respond to it. Curiously enough, Seabiscuit decided to uncoil and go for a ride in the current. This made me wince as I don't want her to get hurt. But thankfully it only pushed her half of the length of the tank and there is nothing for her to hit like rocks or coral. I will need to wrap it up with something to make sure they won't get sucked into it and won't get their tails hurt if they try to hitch onto it.

image_from_ios.jpg image_from_ios (2).jpg image_from_ios (1).jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back