Can reborn calcium reactor media be cleaned and reused ?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reborn media that’s been sitting in an unused calcium reactor for a while now and has algae growing on it. See the picture, can I clean this and reuse it in the reactor that it’s going to be started up again?

image.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure how I would go about cleaning it, but it's from the ocean (probably washed up onto a beach or dredged) so this isn't the first time it's had algae on it.

You can't clean with acid or it will dissolve. It seems to me that it would be a real pain to clean... Not sure if I would consider it to be worth it, but that's a personal judgement.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the media lower in the reactor may already be a bit broken down though. Was this run for a long time before being taken offline?

a.ocellaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. I dumped the old media into a colander, rinsed off the algae with a spray head, and put it back in the reactor. Cleaned out the reactor, too. No issues with the media. You could probably bleach it, but seems like a lot of extra work to dechlorinate it.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. I dumped the old media into a colander, rinsed off the algae with a spray head, and put it back in the reactor. Cleaned out the reactor, too. No issues with the media. You could probably bleach it, but seems like a lot of extra work to dechlorinate it.
I did not reuse the media. I put all new.

image.jpg

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same reactor and was in the same situation. Replaced the media and the reactor started leaking from the uniseals. Contacted Geo and he stated that the uniseals should be replaced every 2 years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back