can salinity sway

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does my salinity always need to be a fixed number or can it sway?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want it to be as stable and consistent as possible. If it sways over time it shouldn't cause any issues as long as it stays in the required ranges for whatever you are trying to keep but I recommend using an ATO to keep it nailed down.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want it to be as stable and consistent as possible. If it sways over time it shouldn't cause any issues as long as it stays in the required ranges for whatever you are trying to keep but I recommend using an ATO to keep it nailed down.
thank you. i have an ato but for some reason my salinity has dropped.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I really can't think of a reason why it would drop with an ATO unless you have a ton of salt creep in a smaller tank....or you are doing large water changes using a lower salinity mixture?

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I really can't think of a reason why it would drop with an ATO unless you have a ton of salt creep in a smaller tank....or you are doing large water changes using a lower salinity mixture?
my tank is 200litre. my salinity was 1.025 and it went to 1.023

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i use saltwater that matches my salinity

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated your tester lately. I’m using the Hanna and went about 2 months without checking it. Everything seemed fine. Then one day I decided to check it and was off by about 0.003 points. i freaked out. And had to slowly start bringing salinity back up. Luckily it didn’t affect my corals. Thank God I run a little higher salinity than most. I usually run what all my LFS run which is 1.027. And everything seems to be doing great.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated your tester lately. I’m using the Hanna and went about 2 months without checking it. Everything seemed fine. Then one day I decided to check it and was off by about 0.003 points. i freaked out. And had to slowly start bringing salinity back up. Luckily it didn’t affect my corals. Thank God I run a little higher salinity than most. I usually run what all my LFS run which is 1.027. And everything seems to be doing great.
Yeah I calabrated it and it was fine I think

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that my ato pump pipe is too large

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that my ato pump pipe is too big ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an ATO it shouldn’t sway much once you get the desired salinity dialed in (+/-0.01-0.02 daily). Anytime you do water changes or drip-acclimate a fish it’s going to change slightly - which isn’t a huge deal.

The smaller the tank the larger the swings can potentially be too, so if it creeps up just add a bit of RO to the sump - and if it drops do the same with some pre-mixed saltwater instead.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an ATO it shouldn’t sway much once you get the desired salinity dialed in (+/-0.01-0.02 daily). Anytime you do water changes or drip-acclimate a fish it’s going to change slightly - which isn’t a huge deal.

The smaller the tank the larger the swings can potentially be too, so if it creeps up just add a bit of RO to the sump - and if it drops do the same with some pre-mixed saltwater instead.
Okay thank you

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that my ato pump pipe is too big ?
No.....the size of the pump or tubing shouldn't matter. They all work the same way, adding water back into the tank until the water level raises triggering a sensor. The speed at which the water is added back in won't make a difference.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back