Can silicates level boost GHA if nitrates and phos are low?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
As title says:
I have found my RODI contains quite high levels of silicon (from ATI test 399.2 µg/l but only 74.14 µg/l in my DT).
My LFS told me that my GHA problems could be caused by silicates and I should use a silicate remover.
Do you think that despite low nutrients (0.03 phos, 2ppm nitrates) the reason behind GHA growth is actually silicate being consumed by GHA everytime my ATO pours water?
This would make things much easier. I tried many ways to kill them but they still grow (despite they grow much slower now).

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
As title says:
I have found my RODI contains quite high levels of silicon (from ATI test 399.2 µg/l but only 74.14 µg/l in my DT).
My LFS told me that my GHA problems could be caused by silicates and I should use a silicate remover.
Do you think that despite low nutrients (0.03 phos, 2ppm nitrates) the reason behind GHA growth is actually silicate being consumed by GHA everytime my ATO pours water?
This would make things much easier. I tried many ways to kill them but they still grow (despite they grow much slower now).
Go on YouTube, search for “Reefbeef” an episode called “Herbivores are the answer”, about 40 minutes in to that lies the truth.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
As title says:
GHA doesn't use silicates. could lead to diatom issues though.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a sponge bloom :)
I definitely have many tiny pineapple sponges around but something must be eating that Si somehow. Good to know that my LFS wanted to sell me some useless expensive media, at least now I will always doublecheck before buying.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have many tiny pineapple sponges around but something must be eating that Si somehow. Good to know that my LFS wanted to sell me some useless expensive media, at least now I will always doublecheck before buying.
cool! their likely eating the silicates and cleaning your water a bit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding silicate can reduce green algae as diatoms compete better.

That happened in my tank every time I dosed silicate.

Figure 3. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass.

1651258832452.png

Figure 6. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass and adding the silica supplement.

1651258862733.png

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Figure 3. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass.

1651258832452.png

Figure 6. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass and adding the silica supplement.

1651258862733.png
Then stopping the dosing does actually get rid of the diatoms as well? Or you have to "choose one"?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1651258832452.png

1651258862733.png
I recognise this pictures. Did you wrote the article on silica and sponges? This is one of my favourite readings of all time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then stopping the dosing does actually get rid of the diatoms as well? Or you have to "choose one"?

In most tanks, diatoms and other creatures rapidly deplete added silicate, and gor diatoms, that prevents their growth.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recognise this pictures. Did you wrote the article on silica and sponges? This is one of my favourite readings of all time.

I’m not sure which article you are referring to, but I wrote the one linked above.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure which article you are referring to, but I wrote the one linked above.
That’s the one, wend I read it a few years back had a different name on the website.
E345B512-3A6A-4A9D-8B00-59DAAE6BF56B.jpeg

still got my bottle going to re start using it on my new build

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back