Can snails bring in ich?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a good article on qt ,ich and anything you want to make her aware off then tell her to read it.if she doesnt then you in ongoing problem unfortunately

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk- imho ich management gets a bad wrap; fish die in qt too. (I know this isn’t going to be popular with anyone but your gf)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we need is ich management good enough to be a sticky

because currently it won’t work as one, everyone’s fish will die.

(all examples of success with management vs initial control preps are self reports, not public patterns from those with no proof to make…ie self reports replace fish without telling and then state the controls worked fine)

if we could just get a sticky here in this forum where no quarantine or fallow is tracked, that’d be great. I don’t foresee that happening because we can easily see by the rate of new help posts daily, something actually has to be done differently.

what’s stickied here are best current practices, fads are missing from the sticky options is how I see it.

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually not a bad idea. I have done it and plenty of other people have done it. This is not the 80's, it's all kind of things that removes copper from aquariums; not to mention its literally copper in the ocean. Having ich hatching a feasting on your fish until they eventually die is way worse.

I also have plenty of Coral in my Display Tank and Coral Quarantine Tank, both have been dosed with Copper.
This is something I haven’t heard maybe I’ll try one day i have this problem again I had an ich problem month ago where only one fish had it and the others were totally fine I don’t qt or anything. I used to hear there no such thing as immunity but I think that might not be the case. Would make sense tho it’s not like the ocean is as pristine as we try to make our tanks.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we need is ich management good enough to be a sticky

because currently it won’t work as one, everyone’s fish will die.

(all examples of success with management vs initial control preps are self reports, not public patterns from those with no proof to make…ie self reports replace fish without telling and then state the controls worked fine)

if we could just get a sticky here in this forum where no quarantine or fallow is tracked, that’d be great. I don’t foresee that happening because we can easily see by the rate of new help posts daily, something actually has to be done differently.

what’s stickied here are best current practices, fads are missing from the sticky options is how I see it.
Agree- although ich management isn’t a fad- I’d wager it’s done much more often than qt. Nobody starts a thread because something is doing fine :) My info is certainly anecdotal but my system has ich and ive never lost a fish to it. It’s not popular to admit you have ich so maybe that’s why you don’t see a sticky on it. The type of person that doesn’t qt is also likely not going to document their every move. I have 6 tangs including an Achilles, 5 diff wrasses, paired mandarins, paired ruby reds, 5 bartlets, a soldier fish, coral beauty angel & a falco hawk. I know my system has ich bc the Achilles will occasionally show minor signs of it (suspect the larger hippo as the stressor- they’re friends most of the time)- I opted for ich management with feeding well, a huge UV and an occasional evening with a diatom filter. I have not lost a single fish to ich before or after adopting my management strategy. Maybe it’s a loaded gun that hasn’t fired yet or maybe my fish are strong enough to shake it off. I do plan to qt as part of a pending upgrade but I’m not overly concerned about ich in my system.

(sidenote @brandon429- thank you for your tank transfer advice; it has been instrumental in my upgrade planning)

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a good article on qt ,ich and anything you want to make her aware off then tell her to read it.if she doesnt then you in ongoing problem unfortunately
I explained to her and showed her, she wants to do everything her way and thinks she’s perfect

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully agreed hundreds of matured systems manage it, truly decades worth

but there’s something unique going on today with this rate of new posts per day for help these two approaches seem to be dueling it out for highest retention %

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been some statements on this thread regarding ich that just aren't true. Here is a very good summary article on marine ich that covers all the topics/questions that a typical hobbyist would have about ich:
Regarding some of the incorrect statements on this thread:
1) You CAN cure a tank of ich by going fishless (fish fallow) for 76 days. Ich requires fish during the trophont stage of its lifecycle. Without fish, it's life cycle is interrupted and you kill off the Ich.
2) There are no reef safe cures for ich
3) You can remove most forms of ligated copper (e.g. cupramine) using various methods (e.g. activated carbon), but free copper is not removed by these methods and instead is mostly removed by water changes. Regardless, some forms of ligated copper can produce free copper over time and some copper (ligated or free) will get absorbed or trapped in substrate. This may produce localized toxicity to copper-sensitive organisms later, but in reality most sequestered copper will eventually get back into the water column and the resulting concentration (after water changes) will be at sub-toxic levels for almost everything you care about. I personally have exposed biomedia from my sump to copper in QT many tiimes and have never had trouble returning the biomedia to my sump (after thorough washing and then soaking in RODI).
4) Metroplex as ich treatment: there's a lot of debate on this one. Metroplex definitely seems good for some things (eg internal parasites, some bacterial infections, etc.) and the company claims it's good for ich. However, as it's usually dosed as an ingestible in reef tank settings to minimize exposure to sensitive inhabitants, it's useful exposure to external parasites like ich comes into question. I also haven't seen anything that proves metronidazole (the active ingredient in metroplex) actually affects ich (ie its mechanism of action in this case hasn't been proven---to me yet anyway).
5) Even if the OP has ich in his tank (still unclear that he does by the way), it sounds like his girlfriend is a bigger problem for his tank than the ich! ;)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I explained to her and showed her, she wants to do everything her way and thinks she’s perfect
Well if you cant educate her and get her to agree why qt and going fallow if diesese present in dt and qt everything after fallow and you believe if you do go fallow and treat all fish then it will juat happen again in few weeks or few months then imo kind of pointless trying to do what your trying to achieve.
So have to just accept your other half is just how she is and will not change or put lock on all fishtanks ( and hope she doesn't break it off) or decides you will now sleep on the couch ha ha
Not sure what to suggest tbh as i know if my mrs was doing that ,i would just explain dont do that because of abc then she would stop so no experience sorry.
Maybe you have a tank and she has a tank and rules are she cant touch or add anything to your tank and you cant touch or add anything to her tank maybe is only option if she agrees to this that is lol

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but, as a newbie, I don't understand something.
*disclaimer -- I've only actually been to a couple of (what I'd consider to be) good saltwater fish stores.

If snails carrying parasites/etc that affect fish, such as ich, is a concern, why don't all fish stores just keep their snails and other inverts in fishless tanks? (All I've been to always have their snails in with fish)

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but, as a newbie, I don't understand something.
*disclaimer -- I've only actually been to a couple of (what I'd consider to be) good saltwater fish stores.

If snails carrying parasites/etc that affect fish, such as ich, is a concern, why don't all fish stores just keep their snails and other inverts in fishless tanks? (All I've been to always have their snails in with fish)
You can ask those LFS why. I'm sure it's for space saving etc.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back