Can someone explain 30 day copper even though ich lives longer?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to know how this works.

If someone has copper in a tank to treat ich. Then removes it after 30 days, why isn’t it likely for the ich to hatch out again and reinfect the fish (without anymore copper in the same tank)?

We need to QT our corals and go fallow for 76 days because ich eggs can hatch in that time frame.

If copper only kills ich Free swimmers, then why don’t we do copper for even longer (76 days?)

Here’s my personal situation: I’m have copper in my FOWLR to kill an ich outbreak. I’m worried that removing copper after 30 days will not work because once copper is removed the ich will just reinfect the fish since they were “protected” in the egg the entire time (up to 76 days).

@Jay Hemdal @Brew12

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps. Anyone can answer this question.

My suspicion is that prolonged copper exposure can sterilize ich tomonts? Because if not, why do people have so much success with 30 day copper, but would fail at a 30 day fallow period? The ich is in both tanks….

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole 76 day thing is based on a research paper that had a few strains, and situations that made them live that long. For most of the uses 30-35 days is a good time in treatment. I don't think it is sterilizing them. More of maybe the copper it self is interfering with metabolic functions. They get too much damage eventually and wipe it out. No parents no babies.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to know how this works.

If someone has copper in a tank to treat ich. Then removes it after 30 days, why isn’t it likely for the ich to hatch out again and reinfect the fish (without anymore copper in the same tank)?

We need to QT our corals and go fallow for 76 days because ich eggs can hatch in that time frame.

If copper only kills ich Free swimmers, then why don’t we do copper for even longer (76 days?)

Here’s my personal situation: I’m have copper in my FOWLR to kill an ich outbreak. I’m worried that removing copper after 30 days will not work because once copper is removed the ich will just reinfect the fish since they were “protected” in the egg the entire time (up to 76 days).

@Jay Hemdal @Brew12
76 is for colder water or anoxic areas. Quarantine is bare so no anoxic areas but I suppose there could be in your display since you want to copper it.

Raise your temp a bit since you are doing this in your DT imo. Speed up the cycle and pray.

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not 100% on this but this is my suspicion. I believe that 14 days in copper is all that is theoretically needed to eliminate ich based on reduced reproduction rate, I think it is three reproduction cycles in that time, but each one is diminished over that time frame. Also lower population decreases the chances of finding a host fish.

I think the 30 days is a redundancy of treatment to give the highest possibility of eradication in the fish.

I also think that because it can live in the gils there are some real challenges in completely eliminating it. Especially in "ich magnet" fish.

Just my beginner initial reading on the topic. Maybe someone else can come along and validate or add to / correct this.

The 76 days is for no copper. But also no hosts. Still has to be finishing reproduction cycles

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back