can someone help what algae is this

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Hope everyone doing good

I would like to know what type of algae is this how can I get rid of it .

Do you think turbo snail would do the job .please advise

Thank you

20201021_134215.jpg 20201021_134212.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef257
It would help us to help you, if you had a tank thread with pertinent information in one place.

I suspect diatoms. Look at this link and see if you can identify what algae you have.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms
diatoms_300x215.jpg

Almost sure to appear in a new system, diatoms are some of the most abundant organisms on earth. They usually surface in the aquarium as a brown powdery like substance, within a week or so after a tank finishes its cycle. Diatoms feed on available silicates in your system and will run their course in time. Similarly, because they feed on silicates, anytime you add new sand, rock or something plastic they can pop up.

Manual Removal: Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.

Clean Up Crew: Ceriths, Nerites and Trochus and Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms, as well as the algae species that usually replace them as the silicates in your system are depleted.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also realize this is a marine tank, and some algae is desirable. I see no algae in those pics that would cause me 1 bit of concern.

I would also agree what that pic does show is possibly some diatoms, which IMO will burn out on their own in a short amount of time.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your gonna find algae type have some natural progression. Already mentioned diatoms show up first.

Maturity: maybe 6mos to the 1yr mark; You wanna reach the stage where your glass coating is now light green (perhaps every 48-72 hrs) and crawling with zillions of pods (micro herbivores) scooting all over the glass; your turbos making obvious trails in the soft growth. Growing concurrently are lil annoying pink & purple spots that show up within hours after glass cleaning. There is also a hard to remove dark green type of algae that shows up under good conditions.

you can speed up maturity a lil by adding even small pieces of genuine “mature rock“ or pest free macro algae’s... Some bad and good “bugs” also come in slowly with half cleaned frags

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a old rock which I added from my old tank which I was running for 3 years .

Once I Added to the new system .it started to show bit dark

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
See if you can blow diatoms loose with a turkey baster. IF you can. . good.... do so and follow with a water change. Reduce white light intensity and add tubo-astrea-trochus-nerite snails.
Its due in part with silicates and will dissipate in time

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The algae that I see growing is normal and is a necessary step to your rocks maturing and getting to the purple coralline stage. Your tank also looks very new still...sand is still bright white and the majority of your rocks appear to have little to no algae on them. Algae is not necessarily a bad thing in a saltwater aquarium...it's actually a good indicator that your tank is moving in the right direction.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back