Can someone help with identifying these

guiltypen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying these please .. they are invading my tank. Literally everywhere . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
63622AD4-E4EC-4CC0-9493-42EFEA009868.jpeg
BE1F7FA8-9B96-490D-9756-033FD1A1C185.jpeg
D7A1939F-CFF6-4631-8CAE-E97316DD1997.jpeg
F1739B9B-61E3-4003-8E13-53ABD783C9EE.jpeg

OP
OP
G

guiltypen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start working on these now before they become a major issue. They can really drive one to take down a tank
Any recommendations? I’ve trying to break them off some are easy to break but some are not

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any recommendations? I’ve trying to break them off some are easy to break but some are not
place a dab of gel superglue over the hole and break off with a pliers a week later. Bumble bee snails should eat them but can cause other tank issues such as eating other snails

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had those too, nasty fella's. I didn't have them that bad. But at one point they were annoying my corals with their tentacles.

I did two things, I added a couple of bumblebee snails. Probably the laziest snails you can find. They hang around at the same spot about 22 hours a day. But after putting these in I did notice the vermetid population dropping. So the small 2 hours they're at work, which is when the lights are off, they did do their job.

I also took my corals out of the aquarium and took tweezers to break them off. I would definitely consider that with the Hammer coral you have, cause they really don't like the snails. But the snails do like them! Make sure to not harm the skeleton of your coral but break the snails off as close to their core as possible. Otherwise, they might come back.
Yours are quite the size, mine weren't bigger than a couple of mm. So maybe you could consider, if possible, to also remove them by hand from the stones cause the bumblebees will mainly take care of the small ones. So if you make sure to kill the bigger vermetids you'll probably get rid of them in no time.

And some are indeed quite hard, so try tweezers to kind of pinch them into pieces. And just scrape the skeleton of the snail (what's left of it) off as much as possible.

Edit: I've never had any trouble with Bumblebees bothering other snails. I've got quite a lot, also a lot of baby trochus snails and they never harmed them. I think yours got enough to feed themselves on, and you can always get rid of them if you don't trust them with your other snails. But I don't think this is a problem. They also eat algae from your stone.

OP
OP
G

guiltypen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had those too, nasty fella's. I didn't have them that bad. But at one point they were annoying my corals with their tentacles.

I did two things, I added a couple of bumblebee snails. Probably the laziest snails you can find. They hang around at the same spot about 22 hours a day. But after putting these in I did notice the vermetid population dropping. So the small 2 hours they're at work, which is when the lights are off, they did do their job.

I also took my corals out of the aquarium and took tweezers to break them off. I would definitely consider that with the Hammer coral you have, cause they really don't like the snails. But the snails do like them! Make sure to not harm the skeleton of your coral but break the snails off as close to their core as possible. Otherwise, they might come back.
Yours are quite the size, mine weren't bigger than a couple of mm. So maybe you could consider, if possible, to also remove them by hand from the stones cause the bumblebees will mainly take care of the small ones. So if you make sure to kill the bigger vermetids you'll probably get rid of them in no time.

And some are indeed quite hard, so try tweezers to kind of pinch them into pieces. And just scrape the skeleton of the snail (what's left of it) off as much as possible.

Edit: I've never had any trouble with Bumblebees bothering other snails. I've got quite a lot, also a lot of baby trochus snails and they never harmed them. I think yours got enough to feed themselves on, and you can always get rid of them if you don't trust them with your other snails. But I don't think this is a problem. They also eat algae from your stone.
Thanks for your advice I’ll get couple of Bumblebees and try getting rid of the obvious ones

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back