Can someone here make a sticky about compatibility of Anthias?

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heaving trouble selecting anthias to my existing tank. I added a Bartlett 2 months ago and just added last week ( I use an acclimation box each time I fish ) a beautiful Ignitus to DT after he spent 3 days in box.
When I’m feeding all are happy and interacting and when the food is gone, the Ignitus is hassassed to corner of the tank with the Bartlett is hovering above daring her to move. The Bartlett does not do harm to the fish, just showing dominance. I want more but need help.
My first anthias was a Dispar, but when released to DT, he completely disappeared never to be seen again

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irony of anthias (pseudoanthias actually) is that they are usually less tolerant of their own species than they are of other species. I tend to think broadly of them in two categories, at least for the ones suitable for our tanks. There are the larger species, usually more aggressive, like squares, bimacs, bartletts, pctilis, lyretails, hutchie, and probably a few others I have missed. They will/can get to 5 plus inches in length. Then there are the smaller species, usually less aggressive, like dispar, ignatus, resplendent, randalls, princess, lori, etc. While you can mix the two groups, problems may arise. Key to diffusing aggression amongst different species is space and lots of feedings.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irony of anthias (pseudoanthias actually) is that they are usually less tolerant of their own species than they are of other species. I tend to think broadly of them in two categories, at least for the ones suitable for our tanks. There are the larger species, usually more aggressive, like squares, bimacs, bartletts, pctilis, lyretails, hutchie, and probably a few others I have missed. They will/can get to 5 plus inches in length. Then there are the smaller species, usually less aggressive, like dispar, ignatus, resplendent, randalls, princess, lori, etc. While you can mix the two groups, problems may arise. Key to diffusing aggression amongst different species is space and lots of feedings.

X2....that’s been my experience with them as well. I also found that the less aggressive species do much better in groups while the larger more aggressive species can do just as well singularity....

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on sunburst anthias in a 70 gallon with mystery wrasse and marine betta. looking to add 2

OP
OP
B

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just add one or two from the less aggressive species. LA doesn’t list the Randall

Thanks for the informative reply

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back