1   0   0
IMG_0567.JPG

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like detritus to me.. you should be able to brush it off with a toothbrush if it bothers you (although it will likely come back). Cerith, nerite, and trochus snails do decent jobs at eating it.

Fishnerd72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar to diatoms, however if proliferates during light cycle then it's most likely dinoflagelates. Unfortunately that's what I had on my rocks and sand bed and looked exactly like yours. Good luck.

Fishnerd72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it get worse during the day and clear up when the lights are off? Are you seeing bubbles form near the top of it? If not then your fine, prob diatoms.

KhahnOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless, check your water, Reduce light to 8 hours/ or less, use a brush to remove what you can while vacuuming what you brush off, get some snails to keep the rocks clean, only use RODI water (don’t even rinse a cup in two water without completely drying it), and monitor your water quality Nitrates, PO4, Ph, and Silicates (if they are high). You may also want to use a phosphate removal media, such as GFO or Phosguard. GFO+BRS Rox 0.8 Carbon is probably the best combo, so long as you change it when it’s mostly expended. If you use a proper RODI water system like the BRS 150gal/day water saver plus, it’s unlikely you will have silicate or diatom issues unless you bring it in from another tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back