Can someone please help me with my hammer coral!!!

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how do you keep alkalinity stable?
There are several ways, but i dose using 3 part I make myself and two brs dosing pumps one for alk and one for calcium. In my opinion as soon as you jump up to lps its probably time to start dosing. You need to maintain a good calcium level so they can build their structure, but the calcium isnt as volatile so i dosed that manualy for years, but alk sways really quick if your not careful so if you dose anything alk would be my first choice. With that being said I cant imagine your alk is really that high without dosing so I would start with a better way of testing it bc without that you cant even begin dosing. The hannah checker is really good for alk. I would have to dose way to much to get my alk as high as whatbyou reported. Either your test kit is wrong or tou are doing something that is raising it bc that isnt a normal number.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several ways, but i dose using 3 part I make myself and two brs dosing pumps one for alk and one for calcium. In my opinion as soon as you jump up to lps its probably time to start dosing. You need to maintain a good calcium level so they can build their structure, but the calcium isnt as volatile so i dosed that manualy for years, but alk sways really quick if your not careful so if you dose anything alk would be my first choice. With that being said I cant imagine your alk is really that high without dosing so I would start with a better way of testing it bc without that you cant even begin dosing. The hannah checker is really good for alk. I would have to dose way to much to get my alk as high as whatbyou reported. Either your test kit is wrong or tou are doing something that is raising it bc that isnt a normal number.
I’ve only tested it using API. I just ordered Salifert alkalinity test so I’ll try that

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha. I would say no. I dont have a cardinal but clows are tough. Not much messes with them. Some tyoes can be right out mean.
Well I had a six line wrasse and it looked like it was trying to kill the clownfish. This clownfish hasn’t showed any signs of aggression towards any fish I’ve had

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a six line wrasse and it looked like it was trying to kill the clownfish. This clownfish hasn’t showed any signs of aggression towards any fish I’ve had
6 lines can be bullies to so if they are bigger then the clown I could see that. I avoid those.

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I want is hammer, torch and frogspawn. Maybe Duncan. And my zoa’s and GSP. That’s all I really want it my tank. Is that really so hard to do?
Its not simple. The lps are fairly hardy but you still have to amintain your salinity, alk, and ca. You need stability and consistency. Any major swings can kill those.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. You are dealing with stony corals. The owner of my lfs describes it like cancer. The person looks fine until one day they don’t. The corals will be happy and one day they won’t. You need good testers and you will have to start dosing if you keep adding stony corals. As for keeping things stable. It’s pretty easy ;)
Its not simple. The lps are fairly hardy but you still have to amintain your salinity, alk, and ca. You need stability and consistency. Any major swings can kill those.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline wrasses can be bullies. There are perfect citizens and complete specimens from hell. I feed my fish mysis and brine as a treat once a week. NLS pellets every day.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline wrasses can be bullies. There are perfect citizens and complete specimens from hell. I feed my fish mysis and brine as a treat once a week. NLS pellets every day.
These? I purchased this food thought it would be good for the clowns but the guy at my LFS said their main diet should be brine shrimp.

507E4428-84D9-417C-948B-B5785A18A085.jpeg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I want is hammer, torch and frogspawn. Maybe Duncan. And my zoa’s and GSP. That’s all I really want it my tank. Is that really so hard to do?
That's how it starts, And maybe that's all you want now, but you are just as much a part of the system as the corals and everything else. If you play loose now because you can get away with it, you'll one day be here posting a thread called 'can someone please help me with my acropora!!!'.

Maybe you won't, but boxing yourself in by taking all the easy choices isn't the wisest approach.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how it starts, And maybe that's all you want now, but you are just as much a part of the system as the corals and everything else. If you play loose now because you can get away with it, you'll one day be here posting a thread called 'can someone please help me with my acropora!!!'.

Maybe you won't, but boxing yourself in by taking all the easy choices isn't the wisest approach.
Your right. I will probably end up upgrading over the years. I’m not going to just stop

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back