Can someone please identify what this is

Reeferlol

View Badges
Reaction score
its most likely not any type of algae but I couldn't find a suitable thread for this... but as you can see in the picture I have something white growing on my sponge as all as one of my rocks. Please help and if it's something bad how can i get rid of it?

20200701_140223.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tahoe61

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would increase flow, do a water change and run some charcoal. How old is the tank?

OP
Reeferlol

Reeferlol

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a charcoal block that is usually in my sump... had a mishap yesterday where a tube came out and flooded my floor so I inadvertently did a water change lol tank is a little over a year old and all my parameters are good..... the thing is I don't believe this to be a fungal growth as there are polyps that come out if it

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a charcoal block that is usually in my sump... had a mishap yesterday where a tube came out and flooded my floor so I inadvertently did a water change lol tank is a little over a year old and all my parameters are good..... the thing is I don't believe this to be a fungal growth as there are polyps that come out if it
Can you get a picture of the polyps out please, I am not saying it is but the is a parasitic white zoa that loves finger sponge, it could also be a different white sponge?

OP
Reeferlol

Reeferlol

View Badges
Reaction score
Can you get a picture of the polyps out please, I am not saying it is but the is a parasitic white zoa that loves finger sponge, it could also be a different white sponge?
I'm sorry I just saw this. I ended up tossing the sponge in the garbage unfortunarely what ever the white was ended up killing it and I didn't want that spreading... the polyps on it were very small but they were white almost looked like very small barnacles but soft and squishy lol

OP
Reeferlol

Reeferlol

View Badges
Reaction score
That white stuff is a dead patch, though I guess it's too late now!
Only reason I don't think so was because when it first started you could peel the white off and my sponge underneath was still bright red.... idk lol the world may never know lol

Have you ever owned an AIO Reef Tank?

• Yes I am running one now

Votes: 345 48.0%
  • YES in the past

Votes: 120 16.7%
  • NO

Votes: 163 22.7%
  • No but want to in the future

Votes: 86 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 0.7%

Online statistics