Can someone tell me what this is growing in my hermit

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i noticed one of my hermits has something growing on his side inside his shell it usually hides but i got it to come this took some pictures i was thinking it’s some type of feather duster maybe?

If so i kind want to keep it how to extract it lol or will it come out on its own

800522BF-5637-415E-8E90-98393103EBE8.jpeg

8AD1F360-EDA3-405E-9D7B-17D0A470B913.jpeg

2401A779-4765-4136-A6DC-A95391708DC0.jpeg

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
To the left it looks like coralline algae and a tube worm/feather duster

I agree with you, I think it's a feather duster looking thing. I can't offer more help with that.
Off topic, but does your hermit also refuse to wear anything but a conch shell? I have one as well and he's in a shell twice the right size because he upgraded from the last conch shell to the only other one in the tank despite there being a dozen other ones the proper size.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I agree with you, I think it's a feather duster looking thing. I can't offer more help with that.
Off topic, but does your hermit also refuse to wear anything but a conch shell? I have one as well and he's in a shell twice the right size because he upgraded from the last conch shell to the only other one in the tank despite there being a dozen other ones the proper size.
Yah i got some bigger shells from turbos he doesn’t it gotta find conch sells st my lfs

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah i got some bigger shells from turbos he doesn’t it gotta find conch sells st my lfs
Same here, the one he came in was barely an inch and a half, now he's in one that's easily 3 inches. The little jerk keeps giving me a heart attack with his molts! He's my only remaining big hermit and this morning there was a nice full skin on the ground, it even looked a bit meaty. Looked in the shell and didn't see anything, put it back in the last resting place and a few hours later I went back and there he was poking out!

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think Halloween Hermits like cone snail shells (flat, narrow opening). I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of these shells (still at our old house). Happy to ship some out for shipping costs if anyone needs some (will have to wait until I go back up to our other house though).

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, the one he came in was barely an inch and a half, now he's in one that's easily 3 inches. The little jerk keeps giving me a heart attack with his molts! He's my only remaining big hermit and this morning there was a nice full skin on the ground, it even looked a bit meaty. Looked in the shell and didn't see anything, put it back in the last resting place and a few hours later I went back and there he was poking out!
Haha that little bugger mine down that all the time i got two Halloween crabs 2 blue legs 2 red legs and a reddish emerald crab which is awesome

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that little bugger mine down that all the time i got two Halloween crabs 2 blue legs 2 red legs and a reddish emerald crab which is awesome
This is the second time he's done that! I got 2 halloween from a LFS I'll never go back to. One left his shell right away, attacked a snail, got slimed up and died shortly after even with me trying to baste it off of him. They replaced the one that died with another one, just an 'ordinary' one don't remember what that was, but it died in a day or two as well. This little guy is the only one that made it! I had another hermit crab, don't know the kind, caught it off the coast of NJ, he was doing great, always switching shells, but then my killer crab killed him. Crab is now in sump prison. How do you like your red legs?

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Halloween Hermits like cone snail shells (flat, narrow opening). I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of these shells (still at our old house). Happy to ship some out for shipping costs if anyone needs some (will have to wait until I go back up to our other house though).
I'll keep that in mind if LFS doesn't have any when I go tomorrow! I just got a conch about the size this halloween is in, he's in QT right now but I don't want the very occupied conch to be the only other 'available' shell. What area are you from?

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time he's done that! I got 2 halloween from a LFS I'll never go back to. One left his shell right away, attacked a snail, got slimed up and died shortly after even with me trying to baste it off of him. They replaced the one that died with another one, just an 'ordinary' one don't remember what that was, but it died in a day or two as well. This little guy is the only one that made it! I had another hermit crab, don't know the kind, caught it off the coast of NJ, he was doing great, always switching shells, but then my killer crab killed him. Crab is now in sump prison. How do you like your red legs?
Haha really I’ve bought mine about 8 months ago got them pretty much all at once dropped into my tank pretty much during cycle period and have been thriving ever since they tend to mess with my corals from time to but nothing major

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha really I’ve bought mine about 8 months ago got them pretty much all at once dropped into my tank pretty much during cycle period and have been thriving ever since they tend to mess with my corals from time to but nothing major
Oh gosh haha that's great, my halloween, his name is Halloweenie btw, was my first livestock purchase! Him and a handful of snails that are still with me too I think? Sifting sort so I don't see them much.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Right now I’m trying to figure out a placement for my hammer coral he’s been stinging half the aquarium
Oh dear, mine loves his spot dead center but I think I need to redo the rockwogk so I'll keep that in mind when I do that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back