Can Stressed Zoas Release Palytoxins?

kalmanb0y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a first time reefer, and yesterday I gave my first two zoa frags a 30 sec 3% hydrogen peroxide dip, which nuked the algae on the plugs, but they didn't seem to enjoy it very much, and are now, a day later, only about 2/3 opened back up. Also, last night, my clown fish mysteriously disappeared. I can't be sure of this but I think he jumped out of the tank and onto the floor, and was eaten by my dog, because there was a vaguely fish-shaped and sized slimey puddle on the floor. My question is, could stressing the zoas out cause them to release palytoxin, which then caused the fish to jump out of the tank? I've never heard of something like that causing a fish to jump, but I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused it. I'm passively running ROX 0.8 carbon, which I thought would deal with most toxins or pollutants. Any help would be appreciated!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the fish jumped due to toxins. Sometimes fish just jump. I've lost Clownfish to jumping too. Best to get a TIGHT fitting lid

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a first time reefer, and yesterday I gave my first two zoa frags a 30 sec 3% hydrogen peroxide dip, which nuked the algae on the plugs, but they didn't seem to enjoy it very much, and are now, a day later, only about 2/3 opened back up. Also, last night, my clown fish mysteriously disappeared. I can't be sure of this but I think he jumped out of the tank and onto the floor, and was eaten by my dog, because there was a vaguely fish-shaped and sized slimey puddle on the floor. My question is, could stressing the zoas out cause them to release palytoxin, which then caused the fish to jump out of the tank? I've never heard of something like that causing a fish to jump, but I couldn't think of anything else that could have caused it. I'm passively running ROX 0.8 carbon, which I thought would deal with most toxins or pollutants. Any help would be appreciated!
Yes, they can release palytoxin due to stress. However, it is incredibly, highly unlikely that a fish would jump out of your tank due to that specific reason. Some fish are just natural jumpers, and others are jumpers due to being skittish. Theres a lot of variables but I'd rule out palytoxin as the culprit for this one! It happens to the best of us. Best wishes

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can release it but mainly when you’re going at them with a weed-wacker when they’re still in your tank. They won’t just normally release enough to hurt anything. Clownfish are bad for jumping on me. I lost a Madagascar clown to a tiny slit in my lid I never thought he’d get through. Also possible he’s died on you and the clean up crew has taken care of the body. I lost a wrasse once and never did find any evidence and that was in my biocube so he couldn’t have jumped. Pretty sure my snails cleaned him up on me

Back