Can terrestrial microbes and undesirables get in tank via slate?

Discussion in 'Aquascape Discussion' started by Swingline77, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Swingline77

Swingline77 Active Member

I have some slate that's been stored outside for quite some time. I spent some time drilling and hammering it into some interesting shapes to put in a tank. After I was done, I did my best to remove the slime/moss/etc. that had built up on the slate over decades of being outside. It's been drying indoors for about a month.

Once I put this in the tank, will the salt kill any nasty stuff on it, or do I have to do this? If I have to disinfect it (and I hope I don't) I thought of two methods:

1. Bake in oven at 400 F: The easiest, but also the most likely to crack the slate.
    2. Soak in bleach soln., then soak in soln. with bleach neutralizing agent: Sort of a pain, and will probably take weeks.

Any ideas?

Tags:

2. brandon429

brandon429 why did you put a reef in that R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

It's ok. Rinse it well and just peroxide soak it a while. Most of the terrestrial organisms get in our reefs anyway, not that much per day but in trace amounts as our tanks exchange with the environ. I say peroxide rinse n go.

I have a history of putting strange things in my reef as a test then tracking the outcomes... I'd put a chunk of your slate in my tank after a mere tap rinse to get the dirt off. Not worried.

This violates any fallow protocols even though terrestrial stuff not big risk

3. tablesalt

tablesalt Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Make sure there is nothing "sparkly" on the rock before you put it in. Could be one of many heavy metals.

brandon429 likes this.
  4. brandon429

brandon429 why did you put a reef in that R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Bug killer too, you never sprayed the area right

norfolkgarden likes this.
  5. Swingline77

Swingline77 Active Member

Good point regarding the bug killer. Nope, I never sprayed. As for the organisms getting in the tank anyway, good point. I wouldn't have considered that. Thanks.

norfolkgarden likes this.