Can terrestrial microbes and undesirables get in tank via slate?

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some slate that's been stored outside for quite some time. I spent some time drilling and hammering it into some interesting shapes to put in a tank. After I was done, I did my best to remove the slime/moss/etc. that had built up on the slate over decades of being outside. It's been drying indoors for about a month.

Once I put this in the tank, will the salt kill any nasty stuff on it, or do I have to do this? If I have to disinfect it (and I hope I don't) I thought of two methods:

1. Bake in oven at 400 F: The easiest, but also the most likely to crack the slate.
2. Soak in bleach soln., then soak in soln. with bleach neutralizing agent: Sort of a pain, and will probably take weeks.

Any ideas?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok. Rinse it well and just peroxide soak it a while. Most of the terrestrial organisms get in our reefs anyway, not that much per day but in trace amounts as our tanks exchange with the environ. I say peroxide rinse n go.

I have a history of putting strange things in my reef as a test then tracking the outcomes... I'd put a chunk of your slate in my tank after a mere tap rinse to get the dirt off. Not worried.

This violates any fallow protocols even though terrestrial stuff not big risk

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there is nothing "sparkly" on the rock before you put it in. Could be one of many heavy metals.

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point regarding the bug killer. Nope, I never sprayed. As for the organisms getting in the tank anyway, good point. I wouldn't have considered that. Thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back