Can the ASO valve be removed from my RODI system?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using an ASO valve like everyone else but my Permeate pump died and I decided to just get a booster pump. I have a pressure vessel that is filled by the system with Ro water.

The problem is I have varying low water pressure from the municipality and sometimes it goes down so low that the ASO valve shuts off before the pressure switch can turn off the pump. That leaves the pump running indefinitely and even if the water pressure goes back up an hour later the ASO valve is still shutdown and the pump is still running.

It would seem like it's possible to just bypass ASO valve and use the pressure switch alone to shutdown the pump but I am not sure if that will cause a reverse flow of the water. Is a shutdown solenoid that is NC needed? Anybody done this and know if it's possible?

Thanks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @robbyg I see that you switched over to a booster pump are you currently using that pump and if so where did you place it in the loop? Also do you happen to have a pressure gauge in the system? and where is the ASO located? Its sounding like something may just be in the wrong loop and that is causing your issue.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @robbyg I see that you switched over to a booster pump are you currently using that pump and if so where did you place it in the loop? Also do you happen to have a pressure gauge in the system? and where is the ASO located? Its sounding like something may just be in the wrong loop and that is causing your issue.

Hi Livewire
Yes I put in an Aquatec 8800 booster pump along with the Auto Flush valve and pressure solenoid.
The pump is fed From the last stage of the Pre filters and pushes the water into the Ro membrane.
The pressure switch is right at the pressure Tank. I also have the required one way valve on the Ro membrane. The back pressure is handled by the auto flush unit which provides no pressure for 15 seconds to flush the membrane and then closes down to I think about a 500 mil restrictor.

The problem is the ASO 2/3 pressure closing point. It works fine when my incoming water is at normal PSI and I adjust the pressure valve to shutoff at 60 PSI. The problem is in the evenings when everyone in the area gets home and starts to use tons of water the pressure drops. If the pump turns on then the ASO will cut out at about 50 PSI and leave the booster pump running because it cannot reach the 60 PSI to shutoff. I wish I could go even higher in boosted pressure but my incoming source of water at normal will only allow the ASO to go to about 62 PSI before the waste line is shutoff. So I have the pressure switch set just a tad lower.

Can the ASO be bypassed?
@Miller535 is saying he was told to bypass it. I did not see that in my documentation but if there is a diagram I would love to see it.

Last edited:

LiveWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robbyg How does your install compare to this diagram?

RODI Water Diagram 2.jpg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Livewire
Yes I put in an Aquatec 8800 booster pump along with the Auto Flush valve and pressure solenoid.
The pump is fed From the last stage of the Pre filters and pushes the water into the Ro membrane.
The pressure switch is right at the pressure Tank. I also have the required one way valve on the Ro membrane. The back pressure is handled by the auto flush unit which provides no pressure for 15 seconds to flush the membrane and then closes down to I think about a 500 mil restrictor.

The problem is the ASO 2/3 pressure closing point. It works fine when my incoming water is at normal PSI and I adjust the pressure valve to shutoff at 60 PSI. The problem is in the evenings when everyone in the area gets home and starts to use tons of water the pressure drops. If the pump turns on then the ASO will cut out at about 50 PSI and leave the booster pump running because it cannot reach the 60 PSI to shutoff. I wish I could go even higher in boosted pressure but my incoming source of water at normal will only allow the ASO to go to about 62 PSI before the waste line is shutoff. So I have the pressure switch set just a tad lower.

Can the ASO be bypassed?
@Miller535 is saying he was told to bypass it. I did not see that in my documentation but if there is a diagram I would love to see it.

I do not have the aquatec, I have the Aquatic life smart buddie that has a aso built into it. I am not familiar with yours and was just asking if it maybe had it built in as well.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robbyg How does your install compare to this diagram?

RODI Water Diagram 2.jpg
Almost identical just a little different in the J & K arrangement, I have the pressure tank fed directly from the out of the ASO and it has two T connectors in the line. One goes to the DI resin and then to the ATO and the other is just straight pressurized Ro water going to the Kitchen.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have the aquatec, I have the Aquatic life smart buddie that has a aso built into it. I am not familiar with yours and was just asking if it maybe had it built in as well.
Yeah I like those but did not even realize it was on the market until after I bought the 8800.
Maybe that was a good thing because the ASO inside it is still going to follow the 2/3rds rule and I think I would still have the same issue. I would hate to have the hack that beautiful thing up to make it work with my pitiful water pressure.

LiveWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robbyg you can try to plumb in it just like the diagram above and see how it does or you can take out the ASO and plumb it like the diagram below. Let me know how it goes and what you decide to do.

RO wo ASO.jpg

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robbyg you can try to plumb in it just like the diagram above and see how it does or you can take out the ASO and plumb it like the diagram below. Let me know how it goes and what you decide to do.

RO wo ASO.jpg
Thanks, this is what I thought would be needed to get it done. I need a 24V NC Valve on the water supply line to cut off the mains water when the pressure is reached. I think I will plug the 24V power supply into my controller and give it the ability to shutoff the 24V power supply if it detects a leak.

BTW I think it would be better to have that inlet solenoid moved to the Supply line. That was if any of the filters start to leak you can kill the water completely at the source.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when I am searching for posts and the OP does not come back and at least let people know that a solution has been found. Also I want to thank @LiveWire and @fishguy242 for the help :)

I am going to be using this Aquatec solenoid valve on the main water inlet feeding the pre filters.
This should completely solve the problem as it will only turn on the mains water once the pump starts running. Another nice thing is that it already has the harness connectors for the Aquatec booster pumps. I am also thinking of throwing in a second pressure switch so that I have two of them in series for redundancy. The second one will be set just 1 or 2 PSI higher than the first one. That will minimize wear on the redundant ones mechanical section.

This is the solenoid I purchased. It's 24 VAC Normally Closed Solenoid.

In case the link dies in the future here is a picture
Solenoid.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back