Can the necessary equipment for a monster tank fit in the cabinet?

OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you can do it. In the same way that tasks expand to fill the time allotted, it seems like reef equipment expands to fill the fish room allotted. As someone else mentioned, RODI and mixing water containers are the only thing that stand out as problematic as it’s a simple volume issue.

Lots of fish rooms are full of non vital equipment, frag tanks, poorly used space etc. You can do it.
Thanks for your comments… The back area in the car park is separated from the main bay by a finished wall. The HVAC has two return grills, one in the main bay and one in the back room.

In thinking about this, do you think I should somehow restrict the return air from the back room into the HVAC? Just wondering if the moist saltwater air would cause problems in the main bay where the cars are parked.

One in particular has an all aluminium body (painted of course) and most of the other components (engine, DCT, gearbox, suspension components, frame etc, are raw aluminium) as well. There is a wall a/c in the back area that could be used if necessary that would allow the rear room to operate separate from the main bay.

How much problem does the moist air cause for metal components in a saltwater aquarium equipment room? Is this something to consider?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to my dream tank last year. 600 gallons. 8ft×4ft wide by 30" high. I was lucky to have enough room and place everything behind my tank. To answer your question. It would be VERY tough to fit everything underneath. I would not have had the room.

Thanks for your reply! I was just checking on skimmers today. The big ones are quite tall… Lots to think about, but that’s the fun of it. With a fully automated tank, I think I’ll need quite a bit of space, especially when you consider the space needed for maintenance and removal and replacement of parts and equipment.

I’m going to do a layout to scale of what I think I’ll need and see how much room I’ll need. I have rather large hands though, so tight spaces and my club like hands do not get along … :)
Cheers!

OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to my dream tank last year. 600 gallons. 8ft×4ft wide by 30" high. I was lucky to have enough room and place everything behind my tank. To answer your question. It would be VERY tough to fit everything underneath. I would not have had the room.

Thanks for the video link… I’ll look forward to looking at it on the big screen!

Cheers!

Fishboy-1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply! I was just checking on skimmers today. The big ones are quite tall… Lots to think about, but that’s the fun of it. With a fully automated tank, I think I’ll need quite a bit of space, especially when you consider the space needed for maintenance and removal and replacement of parts and equipment.

I’m going to do a layout to scale of what I think I’ll need and see how much room I’ll need. I have rather large hands though, so tight spaces and my club like hands do not get along … :)
Cheers!
Fully automated is the way to go. I love it! Good luck!

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same process you are with similar challenges. The only place I could have a remote fish room would be my garage but it has a higher vertical grade than my display, so it isn’t an option for me.

I’m in the process of designing a 11x3x2.5ft 600gal tank myself and planning on all equipment to be in the cabinet. We shall see

Fishboy-1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I posted the tank again.

Here is behind the tank. My equipment.

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing your setup. It’s a long process to get a tank setup, but it’s well worth the wait when you cross the finish line…

Cheers!

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is truly “it depends”. It depends on the type of tank you are running and how you want to run it.

If you are willing to run a simple system with minimal equipment then under the stand should be fine with the exception of fresh and saltwater storage. However, those can be kept remotely.

Did I see that you are planning a predator system? Are you planning to have any coral and if so what types? That will impact the equipment required and transitively the space required.

One other thing: Have you considered employing the services of a consultant for the design? There is a small industry of people that design and service systems like this for non-hobbyists. These people not only have experience with multiple systems but also with designing systems which are efficient to maintain because they are only maintained occasionally..

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The answer is truly “it depends”. It depends on the type of tank you are running and how you want to run it.

If you are willing to run a simple system with minimal equipment then under the stand should be fine with the exception of fresh and saltwater storage. However, those can be kept remotely.

Did I see that you are planning a predator system? Are you planning to have any coral and if so what types? That will impact the equipment required and transitively the space required.

One other thing: Have you considered employing the services of a consultant for the design? There is a small industry of people that design and service systems like this for non-hobbyists. These people not only have experience with multiple systems but also with designing systems which are efficient to maintain because they are only maintained occasionally..
You are right on pointing out that it's a predator tank! Definitely different needs, and not as much IMHO.

Wires wise you'd be ok with one 20a outlet box near the tank. Mostly for circulation pumps. Probably two heaters, also assuming you temperature control the room. Lights can be super efficient LEDs since it's not to keep coral. And technically a filter at that point would fit under the tank, but would greatly depend on the TYPE of filter you would go with. Fluidized media? Pool sand filter? Sump with filter cups holding floss pads and a skimmer? Look at the 700g tank king of DIY kept on youtube...

I have a 125g South American Cichlid tank myself with a canister filter under the cabinet lol

It's all based on what you think will be convenient. I also have a bathroom nearby so it's super easy water change for me, drop a sicce zero utility pump and python hose to the sink.

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Digitalfirex is right to point out the electrical demands.

Full transparency: I’ve never put any thought into a predator tank. But a couple of thoughts to help minimize complexity:
  • A large sump with very powerful skimmer and a filter roller would address most of the filtration. I’ve never heard of anyone using carbon dosing on a FOWLR but this can help keep the water very clean.
  • You still need to think about flow in a system this large. What is the plan?
  • If you have space above the system, reef-type LED such as the XR30 PRO could be raised high above the tank. Personally, you could not stop me from having at least soft coral in the system.
This mostly leaves the question of how to perform water changes and ATO. That is really a conversation in itself but if you can have the reservoirs in the attic that would be easiest. Take a look Adam from BattleCorals build thread, his storage is more or less in the attic.

OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

Yes, the tank I’m planning will be an all predator tank. I’m uncertain at this point if there will be any live coral, as some of the tank residents may prove problematic for coral. This will be sussed out as the initial resident list is firmed up. For planning purposes, I’m not looking at live coral now, but I’m in the early stages so this may change at some point.

I am planning on getting a Registered Professional Engineer to either design the tank from scratch and have it professionally built according to specs, or have the RPE sign off on a manufacturer’s custom designed tank.

I like to overbuild things, so you can bet the tank spec’s will far exceed what’s normal, or necessary. I’m also looking for firms that can design the filtration setup and related automation systems integration. So, a lot of balls are in the air… I also want the systems as fully automated as possible…

Cheers!

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly for a FOWLR tank, you should absolutely be able to get all equipment in the stand. There is just less gear needed. Big skimmer, heaters, maybe a UC and some extra biological media.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the room somewhere away from the tank - USE IT! From the hints you have dropped about the house and the car park (So sorry a garage wasn't big enough for you -- LOL (said with a huge smile)) then the thought of having salt creep covered equipment and doing a water change in the middle of what's going to be a beautiful house is just silly.

Build an area where you can make a mess and not have a significant other upset about it. Build an area where you can hide from your significant other and play with your tank. And build an area that makes working on all the equipment something that doesn't require spiderman and a crowbar.

Sure you could shove everything you want under a tank that size. But is there a benefit to it? I say there isn't. With a tank this size you want to over size the equipment - not just find something that fits within the limited dimensions of even a giant stand.

Your house may have an RO system, but how big is it? You are talking about doing water changes that may be several hundred gallons. When the feces hits the fan are you going to wait 24+ hrs for the RO system to make an extra batch of water? Look at RO systems built for pot growout facilities. You can purchase a 1k or 2k gallon a day system for about the same price as the super cool 6 stage system recommended by the pimple faced kid at the LFS whose thrilled with his first 20g tank full of Oscars.

When you start looking at supersized skimmers, UV's, even the rollermats - do you really wanna spend the time wiggling in and out of the stand for regular maintenance. Clearly you are not a hands off guy who is going to rely on a service company to do everything - Else you would have hired an aquarium company to build your tank and not inquired here as to how to do it correctly.

As for moving the water 120' --- ABYZZ pumps - No problem at all to silenty push the water that far. I have seen the A400 do it with headroom to spare - (100'+ and 12' of head height).

Move the equipment to your other area and have a tank that sits silently in the middle of your beautiful home. No hums, no buzzing, no gurgling. The only tank maintenance done inside your beautiful home is algae wiping the glass with a magnet - No Splash, No Mess. Use a big titanium heat exchanger for a chiller and another one for heating and keep your costs to manage temp at a minimal.

My current system is just over 1500 gallons - The display tank is a 560g (10x2.5x3). The display tank is the only water inside the house. Everything else is built on a wall on the side yard (outside). I live in Los Angeles so my weather is less extreme than yours. But I've been running my equipment outdoors for almost 20 years and dealt with torrential rain, freezing weather and 117 degrees.

With french drains, sewer dumps, water taps, I can make as much mess as I want without ever being inside the house. I have a 4k a day RO system that puts out over 100g an hr at 0 TDS. I have easy access to change the bulbs of my UV. My RO Waste water goes through my skimmer collection cup and then flows out to the sewer - This limits my skimmer maintenance to maybe 2x a year. I have a 4' tall fluidized sand filter. I run up to 1500mg/hr of ozone (if needed) without ever worrying about the smell of ozone in the house.

When we had a tank accident a few months ago my wife without hesitation pushed me to upgrade - cause all she cares about is the pretty box of fish in the house - No noise in the house, no mess in the house, just pretty colors. So we are waiting the arrival of a new 10x4x2.5 750g tank from Titan Exhibits.

Bringing in a consultant for a project this size is a great idea. There are things that are different from building a 250g system vs a 1000g plus system. Just because someone has a cool internet name they might not be the best person for the job. Make sure you see photos of some serious systems they have done. If they don't talk about pulling a 220v line for your tank then they aren't in the right league for you.

Dave B

OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Digitalfirex is right to point out the electrical demands.

Full transparency: I’ve never put any thought into a predator tank. But a couple of thoughts to help minimize complexity:
  • A large sump with very powerful skimmer and a filter roller would address most of the filtration. I’ve never heard of anyone using carbon dosing on a FOWLR but this can help keep the water very clean.
  • You still need to think about flow in a system this large. What is the plan?
  • If you have space above the system, reef-type LED such as the XR30 PRO could be raised high above the tank. Personally, you could not stop me from having at least soft coral in the system.
This mostly leaves the question of how to perform water changes and ATO. That is really a conversation in itself but if you can have the reservoirs in the attic that would be easiest. Take a look Adam from BattleCorals build thread, his storage is more or less in the attic.
Hello,

Regarding flow in the tank, I’m looking into computer modelling to help suss this out. Part of this question will be answered when the tank size is settled. I’m going to build a mock up of some tank sizes out of 1” x 2” x 8’ pine to get a better idea of the tank sizes in-situ.

I have access to waste pipes and h/c water behind the DT wall, as well as out in the car park. I’m still looking at where to put the RO/DI tank and the reserve Saltwater tank. It will either be in the attic directly above the DT (will require building a room in the attic and piping the HVAC to it), or it may be located in the car park and connected with insulated piping from the car park to the DT.

Cheers!

alibaaqeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily fit everything under the aquarium, but it need well planning
inbound4791489240320285123.jpg

inbound3941169080569523699.jpg

inbound606486056228040789.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back