Can this be a pest on my acropora?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bayer is made in Germany. There is very likely a product with a different name available in the EU that has the same stuff in it. Do a search for the active ingredients.

The Flatworm Stop by KZ has some amount of wormwood in it which does appear to interrupt the life cycle of the worms, but it does not seem to kill the ones that are alive. It takes a while (months), but it does work.

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only asked if you dipped just out of curiosity to see if you had dipped and maybe it didnt kill the flat worms. No scolding :) a well known coral shop explained it to me a certain way even knowing that his frag and DT tanks were immaculate:

"I would never suggest for you to NOT dip, even coming from my tanks, it's just good practice to always dip your corals and livestock regardless of the source". A little too late here for that, but nonetheless a great example for new reefers why the "dip everything" regime seems like best practice. I'm new too, so this reaffirms to me that I really really need to dip everything lol.

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember though, KZ Flatworm stop simply strengthens the SPS mucus layer, and doesn't actively kill flatworms. You'll need a wrasse, dipping, and blasting with a turkey baster to accomplish this.
Thnx for the info! I currently only have a kenya fairy wrasse, I might get a 6line while I know he's an *******
The Bayer is made in Germany. There is very likely a product with a different name available in the EU that has the same stuff in it. Do a search for the active ingredients.

The Flatworm Stop by KZ has some amount of wormwood in it which does appear to interrupt the life cycle of the worms, but it does not seem to kill the ones that are alive. It takes a while (months), but it does work.
Ok good info, do you have the name of the company for me?

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screenshot_20201022-194903.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but pretty sure that Imidacloprid is the ingredient in the Bayer that is used for coral dips, not thaicloprid. This still could be banned, for all that I know... Colorado is a long way from Europe. :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KZ Flatworm Stop does help over time. I finished almost 3 liters at 2X recommended.

You should be able to find pure potassium chloride (KCl) and mix it for dipping. It won't kill the eggs; you will have to hunt for them, brushing and rinsing them off. It will kill the flatworms in less than five minutes. If you baste the acropora they will fly off.

The solution mix here is 2 tablespoons per gallon.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I remembered. I want to say I worked my way up to 2x the suggested dosage to interrupt the lifecycle.
I can't confirm this because I go so strong on my bayer's dips I cant see the frag, let alone what fell off when I was dipping in that frag tank.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to a very current thread on dipping with KCl

There is a pretty wide range of suggested dosing solution mixes. Some prefer a less concentrated 3grams/liter.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix Bayer by just glugging it into the tank water in the dipping container. I don't even measure. I do get it warm since I use so much that it drops the temperature of the dip water. The stuff is very gentle on corals. I also let it sit out for a few days after use so that the compound breaks down in the saltwater since it is know to affect bee populations and I don't want to risk that even when pouring it down the sink and not spraying it outside.

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thnx guys but for now I will do a 5day dip cycle with coralrx and use kz flatworm stop and blast the corals.
I just dipped the acro and found 1 aefw coming off it.

IMG_20201022_204937.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely on the acro crab, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Inspect for eggs. They are super tiny. I have to use a well lit magnifying glass. A breeding flatworm lays eggs roughly every 6 days. Cleaner shrimp are said to be good at eating the eggs. The eggs will NOT be on live flesh but will be very nearby living flesh. On white skeleton they might appear pale brown. On the rock they can look green/tan.

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely on the acro crab, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Inspect for eggs. They are super tiny. I have to use a well lit magnifying glass. A breeding flatworm lays eggs roughly every 6 days. Cleaner shrimp are said to be good at eating the eggs. The eggs will NOT be on live flesh but will be very nearby living flesh. On white skeleton they might appear pale brown. On the rock they can look green/tan.
Ok thanks, I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 peppermint atm so hope they already did some work.. I might get all the acros off and put them in big spaces from each other at the front glass panel so I can inspect them good and fish can better reach the crawling worms.

My phone zoom I also quite decent I will try to spot them with that

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these acros are not only hard with parameters but also with pests, when the parameters are finally good and stable you see this fk worm

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these acros are not only hard with parameters but also with pests, when the parameters are finally good and stable you see this fk worm
Yeah but they are worth it.

The worms can be managed. I feel like I've had them all along but my pest control team kept them suppressed so low I never saw much/any damage. One of my fish in one system started going rogue and chased out my springeri damsels, six-line, cleaners and peppermints. When I failed to replace them this summer... BAM!

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but they are worth it.

The worms can be managed. I feel like I've had them all along but my pest control team kept them suppressed so low I never saw much/any damage. One of my fish in one system started going rogue and chased out my springeri damsels, six-line, cleaners and peppermints. When I failed to replace them this summer... BAM!

Ah that's sad! I might also change my whole fish selection to pest hunters because acropora is the thing what keeps the hobby challenging and fun for me. I also read that pipefish control pests? Are these any good for high flow tanks? I have 2x tunze stream3 and 2x tunze 6095 in a 100gallon display all on 21 - 65%

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back