Can this grow lamp bulb support Coraline algae?

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am setting up a new tank and have a live rock purchase pending that includes rock with Coraline algae on it, which I would like to preserve. However, my light is not going to be ready for about 4 weeks.

I have the grow light attached here... Can this support Coraline algae until I get my permanent light? I have two other lights I could use but there's no way to easily suspend them over this tank so I would rather use this.

Thanks in advance
Screenshot_20200329-164901.png

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the best option.
Not enough wattage to do much. Color spectrum is more aimed at plant growth than Coraline.
Calcium and Alkalinity are very important too. No bulb helps with that.
I'd suggest saving for the correct light before throwing money at something that won't help much if any at all.

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the best option.
Not enough wattage to do much. Color spectrum is more aimed at plant growth than Coraline.
Calcium and Alkalinity are very important too. No bulb helps with that.
I'd suggest saving for the correct light before throwing money at something that won't help much if any at all.
Thanks for the info. I have two other lights that are more than enough to grow it but no easy way to hang them. I've already ordered the permanent light for this tank but it will take 4 weeks to get it. This would have been the easiest solution but I guess I'll rig a way to hang one of the others

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the cheapest under the cabinet LEDS in my sump that have enabled coraline to cover my rubble rocks and sustain cheato.

I know what the BRS tests showed and I know the lights have used in my sumps would have been outright rejected if I had posted them here. But, I that doesn't change what's happening in my sumps.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any specific knowledge of that cfl, but the inside of my skimmer grows some coraline algae just fine. It has no direct light, and the light it does get is primarily red light from my fuge and algae scrubber. I can even wash it out with tap water and it seems to survive.

IMG_20200122_160506.jpg

So my guess is one or maybe two of those bulbs will keep it alive for a couple of weeks.

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6400k bulb should work in the short term, as far as spectrum, not much wattage though. Marsaqua and others make affordable led “bulbs “ that would work as well. If you plan on a refugium, you could use them for that after your real lighting arrives.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline will grow with very little wattage and under any spectrum... especially purple. Coverage would be your only issue and the shadowy sides will die - reflector will help this.

I can get massive amounts of coralline with a 48" LED shop light from the hardware store over a 150g rubbermade trough.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 107 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 66 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 56 30.3%
Back