Can this light be used>>>>>

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of building a large frag tank (72" x 24" x 12").

I am thinking of using metal halide lights. So I did a search on eBay and found these lights in 250 or 400 watt pretty cheap:

light.jpg
[/IMG]

The tank will be setup in my garage, so the looks of the setup and the brightness of the light wont be an issue. All I am concerned with is functionality. Would a couple of these type of lights with the proper bulbs work well?

All the same questions for this unit:

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Which light would be better?

Steve

Last edited:

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top one can be used. I have seen it at many of the wholesalers down here on their holding vats. :)

IMo its very unsightly but it works.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT also depends on what current it wil need, the place I worked at I could have gotten 20 of them that ran 1000w bulbs the only problem is they were tri-lined and needed 277amp or something like that. Which most households are not connected with. They were more for industrial or commercial use, but you could always use the fixture and set it up with a different ballast.....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used one like the top one before. What I did was remove the ballast from the bell part, ordered a NH reflector and socket from hellolights for $20 and I was set. ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and a lfs here uses them on their large reef tank.

OP
OP
follow3

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!!!

The ones I am looking at are quad tap, so they can use about any voltage if they are connected properly.

I'll let Y'all know when I get started.

Steve

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of building a large frag tank (72" x 24" x 12").

I am thinking of using metal halide lights. So I did a search on eBay and found these lights in 250 or 400 watt pretty cheap:

light.jpg
[/IMG]

The tank will be setup in my garage, so the looks of the setup and the brightness of the light won't be an issue. All I am concerned with is functionality. Would a couple of these type of lights with the proper bulbs work well?

All the same questions for this unit:

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Which light would be better?

Steve

Sure they can be used. There are only two problems you might run into.
1. The bulbs have to be able to fire with a magnetic ballast. I forgot all the info on them but the 2 types are probe start and pulse start. One will fire on one but not the other.
2. You'll want to make sure that you have UV protective glass in the fixture. The bottom one is ok but the top bay light usually has a crappy plastic deflector/diffuser covering the luminar that will defeat alot of the purpose.

Back