Can this remote sump plumbing work or will it just cause problems…

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 155 gallon tank on the second floor with 1 ¾” return and 3 1” drains. I want my sump in the basement. I can put the sump in the basement under the tank but that puts the sump in the middle of my unfinished basement. I would rather place the sump against a wall making it easier to mount controllers and my electrical needs. When I say 90 degree turns, I intend to use 45 degree fitting or sweep elbows.

Option 1: Right under the sump (easier but not what I want)

- 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sump full of rock and with a cryptic zone and skimmer.
- 30 to 60 gallon refugia tied into the sump
- 2 90 degree short run turns in the drain lines to the sump
- Vertical pipe length around 10 feet
- Horizontal pipe length around 4 feet
- I could probably use a large submersible Sicce to return water to the tank

Option 2: Sump against nearby wall

- 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sump full of rock and with a cryptic zone and skimmer.
- 30 to 60 gallon refugia tied into the sump
- 4 90 degree turns for the drain lines
- Vertical pipe length around 10 feet
- Horizontal pile length around 19 feet
- I would need an external more powerful pump to move the water back to the tank

I was told that it would be hard to get a siphon on that long of a pipe between the tank and sump.
I have read it is best to have the gate valves close to the sump for the drain lines.
I figured with 3 1” drains I would have enough pipe to handle the water volume movement between the tank and the sump using no more than 2 lines and the 3rd as an emergency line.

Anyone do anything like this and what are the issues with option 2?

Thanks,
Bob

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Yes you can do this but... (as a rule anything before the word "but" can be disregarded) you will need to first address head. Any pump with the that kind of head will be pricey. The second challenge is the drain line. Sounds like you are considering hard plumbing it. If you read my previous posts on this subject you will see I am a big fan of tubing vs, hard plumbing. Another reason you should consider tubing - and this is a big one people trying to do this never see coming - is water velocity. Once the water leaves your aquarium and starts its journey down to the basement, it will pick up a lot of speed and it won't end well unless you make accommodations. . I will stop here for now and if you are still interested in going down this path I can make some additional suggestions.

OP
OP
M

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main I see with option #2 is the length of the horizontal run and the total length of the pipe in general.

☑ Option 3: Keep the sump under the tank.
Thanks blaxsun. My motive in putting the sump under the tank in the basement is to have all that extra freedom of space and to reduce noise. I can do option 1 but prefer 2.

OP
OP
M

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Yes you can do this but... (as a rule anything before the word "but" can be disregarded) you will need to first address head. Any pump with the that kind of head will be pricey. The second challenge is the drain line. Sounds like you are considering hard plumbing it. If you read my previous posts on this subject you will see I am a big fan of tubing vs, hard plumbing. Another reason you should consider tubing - and this is a big one people trying to do this never see coming - is water velocity. Once the water leaves your aquarium and starts its journey down to the basement, it will pick up a lot of speed and it won't end well unless you make accommodations. . I will stop here for now and if you are still interested in going down this path I can make some additional suggestions.
Yes, I would love your recommendations. I am open to tubing for sure! As far as water velocity, I intend to put my gate valve in the basement at the sump so that may mitigate the speed of water through the system.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would love your recommendations. I am open to tubing for sure! As far as water velocity, I intend to put my gate valve in the basement at the sump so that may mitigate the speed of water through the system.
That will probably make it a lot harder to tune the tank though, turning a 1-person job into 2.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this to a friends tank.

Tank upstairs, sump about 15 feet away against a wall in the basement. All hard plumbed, and his gate is just below his overflow box(ghost overflow). 0 Issues with any of it, just had a heck of a time getting it tuned properly.

Works just fine for him, just be aware of the head height and buy a pump to accommodate it.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve at the end of the run will constrict your flow rate. Sort of like four lanes of cars going into one. Better to ease the flow velocity by introducing some bends and curves

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in the basement, not directly under my tank. I have tubing for the drain and hard plumbing for the return. The return has at least 2 90's and a Tee. The biggest thing is a pump with the proper head height. Remember that just because it can push the water up a store, the gph is cut by a lot. I have my gate valve upstairs in the tank stand.

OP
OP
M

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in the basement, not directly under my tank. I have tubing for the drain and hard plumbing for the return. The return has at least 2 90's and a Tee. The biggest thing is a pump with the proper head height. Remember that just because it can push the water up a store, the gph is cut by a lot. I have my gate valve upstairs in the tank stand.
What tubing did you use and how big is your tubing.
Yup - I have to plan carefully for the return pump.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a picture of the sump room
1647969881285.png

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with option 2, I would make sure your horizontal runs are a least at a slight slope (easier to rid air in the line). For that amount of head, you're looking at a Abyzz of decent size (even the A200 only has 31 feet of head) in the DC pumps, or the reeflo, dolphin amp master, or MRC pumps (improved reeflo design).

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at specs, cross off amp master 24' max, MRC has the HP8500 at 55', and you're looking at the tigershark, mantaray, or higher hp pumps

Back