kelp47

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So... I broke down my 75 gal because the algae (green hair, caulerpa and others) got out of control and it was a huge eyesore in the middle of the room. I moved the livestock to a new 30 gal setup and it was nice until I added a couple pieces of easy to keep corals. Nice I have bubble algae and aptasia. I have considered just going fish only, but wonder if there is a way to manage this and keep my reef. Any thoughts? Life is kind of crazy right now, but I really don't want to give up on it altogether.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Miami Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Of course there is! In my opinion: people freak out wayyyyy too easily for no reason. Algae should never be a reason to break down a tank.

Stick with me, I’ll help you out. First, how old is your tank? Get a test on nitrates and phosphates and report back.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
These things are going to be impossible to 100% eradicate. Most mature tanks long term will end up maintaining some kind of natural and manual control methods to keep it in check. Unfortunately most of the good conditions that will be helpful to corals will also be good conditions for bubble algae and aip.

I go with a combination of natural method - emerald crab and true pep shrimp, as well as manual with my regular maintenance. Ie. When I see aip getting too big I squirt some F-aip on the big ones. Peps usually go after small first. When bubble gets too much, manually remove. Key for bubble control for me is that it seems emerald will go after gha first bc its easier, so, make sure you have plenty of other grazers, like snail, urchin,, and hermits to keep GHA down, this will force emerald crabs to go afternthe bubbles

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So... I broke down my 75 gal because the algae (green hair, caulerpa and others) got out of control and it was a huge eyesore in the middle of the room. I moved the livestock to a new 30 gal setup and it was nice until I added a couple pieces of easy to keep corals. Nice I have bubble algae and aptasia. I have considered just going fish only, but wonder if there is a way to manage this and keep my reef. Any thoughts? Life is kind of crazy right now, but I really don't want to give up on it altogether.
Get a UV sterlizer and peppermint shrimp. That should solve both issues

OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Of course there is! In my opinion: people freak out wayyyyy too easily for no reason. Algae should never be a reason to break down a tank.

Stick with me, I’ll help you out. First, how old is your tank? Get a test on nitrates and phosphates and report back.
If you saw my previous tank you might retract that statement It was rough.

My new one... the setup is a little under a year old. But it was seeded with some matrix rubble from my old tank, and the fish have been with me for several years. But the sand and rocks are only as old as the setup.

I'll see if I can run those tests this weekend and report back.

davidcalgary29

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You might want to consider some Halymenia for your tank as well. There are many attractive species, and they're excellent nutrient exporters. I had clumps growing in two builds, but I removed them and put them in another. Perhaps not coincidentally, I now have valonia outbreaks in those tanks...but none (or very little) in the one with loads of Halymenia in it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Aiptasia < Berghia, even just a few...they will destroy them. As for the algae, hit it hard with a pincushion or tuxedo urchin, a few blue or red leg hermits and a few more snails, Mexican Turbo, I've even had luck with Astrea..... stay with it, you'll beat it....

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Toys For Kids Drive

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

BRS

Have you ever had a nano reef tank?

• I have one now (leave a photo in the thread)

Votes: 220 45.8%
  • Yes, but in the past

Votes: 107 22.3%
  • No and no plans to have one

Votes: 82 17.1%
  • No but I want to have one in the future

Votes: 63 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 1.7%
Your Reef