Can you add a bottle of good bacteria to a established reef tank?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title. Currently having a algae issue and I really think my good bacteria has been lacking these passed couple months.

I’m stopping coral feeding, and doing a 10g water change on Saturday...

also thinking about not running my lights for 3 days to see if that helps.

thoughts??

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do several blackouts throughout the year. Just turn the lights off for a day or two here and there.

happens in nature during storms.

however, it won’t do anything for turf algae, if that’s what you have.

is it confirmed turf algae?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll probably be that generic dr.tims stuff

I have no personal experience with it, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I keep a bottle of Microbacter 7 around, completely antecdotal, but I feel like it helps clear up the water when things start looking a little off.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title. Currently having a algae issue and I really think my good bacteria has been lacking these passed couple months.

I’m stopping coral feeding, and doing a 10g water change on Saturday...

also thinking about not running my lights for 3 days to see if that helps.

thoughts??
Sure why not. Bacterial diversity is a good thing. I recently got rid of my cyano while dosing bacteria weekly and bubble scrubbing at night.

Have you considered vibrant? I dose mb7 and vibrant weekly and fritz 460 twice a month

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure why not. Bacterial diversity is a good thing. I recently got rid of my cyano while dosing bacteria weekly and bubble scrubbing at night.

Have you considered vibrant? I dose mb7 and vibrant weekly and fritz 460 twice a month
Ive been dosing vibrant for about 5 weeks now and my glass is getting really bad brown algae on it the pass couple days.... gonna discontinue it

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if adding digestive (Dr Tim's) bacteria would help if your tank all ready has it. I would look at adding some sand or something from a persons tank that you like. Maybe they could let you put a small dry rock in their tank for 2 weeks.
After that if you think you need bacteria add it. Just dont add stuff that claims to get rid of this and that. Microbacter7 seems to be ok. It does have enzymes to get rid of waste build up if thats your issue.
Next I would consider adding probiotics and the polymer to help establish it. You dont need a lot. Try this for a while.
Next I would start feeding my bacteria carbon. Both vodka and vinegar. This might help some bacteria use up a bit of the nutrients your algae seems to be using. But it could also feed your algae
These are just ipinions and might or might not work for you

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with it, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I keep a bottle of Microbacter 7 around, completely antecdotal, but I feel like it helps clear up the water when things start looking a little off.
I’m a huge fan and user of MB7! Great stuff.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dosing vibrant for about 5 weeks now and my glass is getting really bad brown algae on it the pass couple days.... gonna discontinue it
Vibrant does nothing for turf algae.

I beat turf algae in my 1st tank with fluconazole. Piece of cake.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t remember. I know i did a google search and found it and bought it.

It was like 2 years ago. There is a good thread on here about it and you may want to check in there and see where folks have got it most recently.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you checked your nitrates? I am dosing it as well - and it did a great job - but I found my nitrates were >100 - corals fading some - going to do several 50% water changes 1 daily for a week

Back