Can you add a clownfish with no ammonia and high nitrites?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not correct at all.
I never watch nitrites. As soon as ammonia goes to 0 i place fish in.
Nitrites have to be very very high up in 300ppm to 500ppm to cause only 25% of the population to be effected.
Nitrites are not harmful in saltwater. not in levels we see. Even if you start with high ammonia nitrites normally dont get above 8-10 or even 20 ppm and thats not harmful.
I have no idea how high Nitrites effect fish. can only go on what I read. Does this sound familiar from 4 years ago?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so two years later from your post!, what did you end up doing? I am cycling right now. used Dr. Tims and his guide says to add fish on day 9. I am at day 14 and still dont have fish. my Rites are around 7-10ppm and Rates are about 35. I just did a 10% water change this morning and will monitor for another day or 2 but I feel it is ok to add some clowns here in another day or two. But may just end up waiting till Im lower on those values and closer to 0. As much as I want to have fish in the tank I want corals even more, and if I wouldn't add corals in these conditions I don't like thinking about adding fish. No need to cause unneeded stress for those little fellas.

What kits were you using?

With many kits, 9 ppm nitrite would show up as hugely more nitrate than you report.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kits were you using?

With many kits, 9 ppm nitrite would show up as hugely more nitrate than you report.
I personally would like to thank you for being available to us. I can only comment on my own meager experiences. I truly appreciate a chemists and researchers input

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have thanked the other busy Profesional people who take the time to share their knowledge as well. Also people who share experiences

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how high Nitrites effect fish. can only go on what I read. Does this sound familiar from 4 years ago?
You are fine. Yes it still stand true today. Nitrites are not harmful to our fish in limits we find them during cycling.
They have to be up in several hundreds of ppm before they kill 25% of the lot if any.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back