Can you add a clownfish with no ammonia and high nitrites?

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same Fritz (turbostart) for my aquarium and put in 2 clownfish and 2 yellow tail damsels. This matches their directions on the bottle and this was 3 months ago :) So far everyone is happy. Remember the bacteria need an ammonia source for food otherwise they will die off. Follow the directions on the bottle.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a popular search return biocon labs says on their page that nitrifiers can’t take time in air that they’ll die

agreed various websites have debatable stuff it’s ok for the hobby to have so many perspectives, we are new into redoing the rules.

to refute the claim about air time, I drained my entire 15 year old reef down to the sand and did not refill it for 33 mins then posted it to YouTube. They need to update their page now to say something longer than 33 mins lol

all corals in air crispy cold air, then fully open 12 hours later, it’s been repeated two hundred times. You can’t kill nitrifiers by air time, if someone wants to pay me biocon labs writer then I’ll go fifty mins on tape, pay up for the good data. $

* I truly think scientists like dr Tim or biocon labs are remarking about teased out cells on glass or steel dying due to these compounds. Or it’s a freshwater evaluation lacking chloride offsets, but any way sliced display tanks all cycle consistently under these time and inoculation variables from this thread and I have never, ever seen a single display tank (max surface area) stall. Not once. Stalled cycles are my nemesis I believe with seneye we can prove it does not occur.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad for the thread. 14 gallon is stating the perspective about 95% of pollees would agree to. Online avail material does say pretty much opposite of what I type

new cycle science needs a strong filter to press through to be valid, so there’s hashing to be done.

notice how all online bacterial authorities aren’t making work threads where people might report a non compliance :)

They are web pages where nobody posts counter proof.

it would be awesome if web page writers made cycling threads here we could track live time for prediction and outcome.

in the end, all I ever wanted was for forum cyclers to be able to start on time like reef conventions. How come the sellers aren’t stammering around weeks seeking permission to sell to us from a ready reef, how do they make a whole convention of instant reefs always work out?
Bam, they have a fifty thousand dollar full sps reef that could run twenty years if left in place, by tomorrow.

I want equalization between the sellers and their magic, and us the buyers. That’s why cycling rules must change, so we only buy when necessary. So that we may begin reefing with total confidence.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I have threads where nitrite ran ninety days on api, same for ammonia (no cycle takes ninety days it was misreads)

And he has a shrimp degrading, right now, if you rot a shrimp in your post cycle reef and post the api reading that will be context

check out the bottle bac thread I linked, see if you disagree on fritz timing

should he wait indefinitely? He has the right to discern a start date, and a specific oxidation step is listed prior to prove if the system is ready, there is no guessing if we run that.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two paragraphs of post #11 is the definitive test as to whether this tank was ready last month

please run that test we want more not stalled pics like the second thread posted

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much everyone for your advice. There’s a steep learning curve with this hobby that’s for sure.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, Fritz says nitrite is one of the most harmful pollutants in a reef tank.
Not what was said.

Nitrites are one of the most harmful pollutants in aquarium water.

It's unfortunate Fritz does not note the distinction between nitrites in FW vs SW, but they are trying to sell their product so it makes sense. Nowhere is "reef tank" specifically mentioned. I am sure the usage of the general "aquarium water" was quite deliberate.

Repeat after me: Nitrites are not harmful in saltwater.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14g nano on the + nitrite starts theyre in that linked thread for inspection that way my summary is open to critique. We quit testing for it once the double clowns went in lol tank to tank. That’s what everyone starts with, double clowns

100% of posted nitrite data in this forum is api, nobody says the readings are even correct. We have no other kits to pattern against

But if they did go down on the test kit we didn’t know, we went right into algae planning. Disregarding nitrite isn’t just about breaking rules, we remove 1/3rd of misreading tests from the can-reef start date this way. If it was Hanna digital I’d love to see the results alongside any api nitrite but it still wouldn’t factor in the start date, ammonia control is the only param needed in cycling.

in my thread linked here set to unstick any stalled cycle we use the highest order gateway for making calls:

someone says they have a stalled cycle, I tell them it’s not stalled foregoing any measurements, and we see if that’s true or not in hindsight :)

in paragraphs of test reads and info and concern and multi bottles of bac purchased only for test reads to remain, I simply type they’re not stalled, we change water they add fish we collect updates.

ive never seen a single messy cycle with jacked ammonia and nitrite that didn’t have high nitrate. Nitrate shows end point conversion. About 95% of posted stuck ones have a chart showing ammonia going down, just not to zero. Those are the hidden details tank to tank, every tank.

the messy wastewater which indeed might have nitrite but we will never know till Hanna shows up gets changed out

in 100% of cases a functional biofilter was below the messy cycling water. The new water above a functioning biofilter is why the two clowns always live.

******** all cycling rules and purchase urges are fueled by wastewater testing, let’s quit doing that it’s a royal ripoff.

not one cycle author or microbiologist or rule maker ever gave us permission to skip wastewater testing and focus on what clean water does, those rascals.

Last edited:

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up "is nitrite toxic in a reef tank"

I used to have freshwater tanks, and i know Nitrite is toxic for that fish. I am just about to cycle my first reeftank (wish me luck lol) i read that Nitrite is not dangerous for marines fish. I know i have my doubts about this, but maybe Nitrite needs to be in a much higher concentration to really damage or kill the fish? I Googled it and this was the answer:

"Is nitrite toxic to marine fish?
For marine organ- isms, the ranges in safe concentrations are higher – 0.5 to 15.0 mg/L for invertebrates and 5.0 to 50.0 mg/L for fish. Nitrite toxicity is not a common problem in brackishwater and seawater systems, but it is relatively common in freshwater."

So when you cycle a marine tank you only check for Ammonia, as i understand it. But i will probably check for both :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you check both make sure the nitrite one is digital, or you won't know if your test is accurate

Don't assume our nitrite testing is accurate, google to see if it is

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back