Can you change Apex's conductivity probe to measure specific gravity?

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but I am new to the world of Apex. Is there any way to change the conductivity measurement to provide specific gravity? What method does the salinity probe use to measure at default, us/cm? If so, I have no idea how that translates to ppt or specific gravity.

Would I need to add the PM2 Salinity Module to my Apex for the probe to provide an output in specific gravity or ppt?

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the conductivity probe but looking at a few random images on google from the apex dashboards it appears this reading is in ppt as evidenced by numbers in the 30s. According to this post, no you can't change it from ppt to sg.

Which Apex do you have? Apex EL would not have the conductivity probe or port, so yes you would need a PM2 for that. If you buy the $800 Apex package that comes with ORP and conductivity then you would not need a PM2.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but I am new to the world of Apex. Is there any way to change the conductivity measurement to provide specific gravity? What method does the salinity probe use to measure at default, us/cm? If so, I have no idea how that translates to ppt or specific gravity.

Would I need to add the PM2 Salinity Module to my Apex for the probe to provide an output in specific gravity or ppt?

If you dont already have a full model apex , dont bother with salinity. There is no reason for it to change and the probe is not accurate.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe on the Apex base unit will only display in ppt. The salinity probe on a PM2 module can be configured for either ppt or mS/cm.

Neither can display specific gravity. There are many online calculators that can convert ppt to specific gravity for you:

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SuncrestReef,

Many thanks for the lin
k to that calculator from one who's been test obsessive and chasing numbers for 40+ years. It adds two more rows to my Water Testing spreadsheet.

Thanks again,
Bob

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back