Can you clean chaeto

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clean chaeto to get rid of build up without losing pods? My chaeto grows at an astronomical rate
I guess you could try to rinse it out in a small container of saltwater, chuck the chaeto and pour the contents (probably containing some pods) back into your refugium. I just don’t know if this is very practical in the long-term.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you clean chaeto to get rid of build up without losing pods? My chaeto grows at an astronomical rate
Are you trying to remove build up like detritus from the chaeto or are you talking about pruning it due to the size?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shake mine as I am removing it from the refugium and place in a white bucket filled with water change tank water, then remove hair algae, detritus, asterinas, etc. with fingers or tweezers. Afterwards, I always find a few pods which are easy to suck up and return to refugium using a turkey baster.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I shake mine as I am removing it from the refugium and place in a white bucket filled with water change tank water, then remove hair algae, detritus, asterinas, etc. with fingers or tweezers. Afterwards, I always find a few pods which are easy to suck up and return to refugium using a turkey baster.
@Jrswish This is how I would recommend to do it if you are trying to keep as many pods as possible :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back