Can you clean/recycle dirty chaeto at 100% effectiveness?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some dirty chaeto that I would like to clean/recycle since the normal sources are sold out.

Is there anyway to kill all bacteria/pests etc. basically anything that can harm your tank with 100% success rate?

The transfer tank already has pods.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. IDK if something like Bayer or other coral dips would work. You can try with a small amount of chaeto and dip with freshwater containing the coral dip? Then put in a separate tank and observe. Also remove as much pests as possible beforehand too

Anyone else know or have ideas?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been playing around with the idea of dipping or dosing my macro tanks with something prior to the move, just to get rid of any major diseases I might have in the tanks. Fairly positive that they don't have brook, ich, or velvet, but uronema (probably present but not causing disease yet) is probably going to be an issue, since I'm not sure what I can add to the tank that will treat for uronema, but will leave the macro alone...

I debated trying to eradicate any Vibrio and/or Mycobacterium that may have gotten into the tank, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort at least for the Vibrio, since it comes in with the frozen food...

It'd probably have to be some sort of multi stage dip/quarantine. Keep the chaeto fishless for a period of 76 days to starve out the velvet, ich, and brook. Fenbendazole to take care of hydroids/aiptasia. Metronidazole maybe just dosed to high heaven to take care of Uronema. Praziquantel, or better, piperazine would take out all worms. Of importance though, is that I don't know how the macroalgae would react to any of these medications. Assuming they react well (and don't die), that would only leave bacteria and viruses...

Of the "bad" bacteria, I'd only focus on Mycobacterium marinum. Vibrio's probably already in most systems just because a lot of people feed frozen non-irradiated food. For mycobacterium marinum....I'm stumped. Human medicine says that the best treatment is clarithromycin + ethambutol, but good luck trying to get enough to dose the tank....

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be noted that this probably doesn't take into account any potentially harmful photosynthetic organisms (velvet discounted since it needs a fish host). So dinoflagellates, diatoms, GHA, those aren't included in what I'm trying to account for.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some dirty chaeto that I would like to clean/recycle since the normal sources are sold out.

Is there anyway to kill all bacteria/pests etc. basically anything that can harm your tank with 100% success rate?

The transfer tank already has pods.

just treat it in the same way you would deal with new coral. Use coral dip or quarantine

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been playing around with the idea of dipping or dosing my macro tanks with something prior to the move, just to get rid of any major diseases I might have in the tanks. Fairly positive that they don't have brook, ich, or velvet, but uronema (probably present but not causing disease yet) is probably going to be an issue, since I'm not sure what I can add to the tank that will treat for uronema, but will leave the macro alone...

I debated trying to eradicate any Vibrio and/or Mycobacterium that may have gotten into the tank, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort at least for the Vibrio, since it comes in with the frozen food...

It'd probably have to be some sort of multi stage dip/quarantine. Keep the chaeto fishless for a period of 76 days to starve out the velvet, ich, and brook. Fenbendazole to take care of hydroids/aiptasia. Metronidazole maybe just dosed to high heaven to take care of Uronema. Praziquantel, or better, piperazine would take out all worms. Of importance though, is that I don't know how the macroalgae would react to any of these medications. Assuming they react well (and don't die), that would only leave bacteria and viruses...

Of the "bad" bacteria, I'd only focus on Mycobacterium marinum. Vibrio's probably already in most systems just because a lot of people feed frozen non-irradiated food. For mycobacterium marinum....I'm stumped. Human medicine says that the best treatment is clarithromycin + ethambutol, but good luck trying to get enough to dose the tank....

that seems a bit crazy just to clean algae.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that seems a bit crazy just to clean algae.
Eh, depends on the algae. If the algae's going to be used in a broodstock system for nutrient locking, the last thing I want to deal with is a parasite infection devastating my larval populations. I'm going for a "better safe than sorry" route.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, depends on the algae. If the algae's going to be used in a broodstock system for nutrient locking, the last thing I want to deal with is a parasite infection devastating my larval populations. I'm going for a "better safe than sorry" route.
Fair enough but febenzadole won’t kill aiptasia and there isn’t anything that will kill WS cysts

OP
OP
Labora

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just treat it in the same way you would deal with new coral. Use coral dip or quarantine

The only coral dip I have on hand right now is Bayer Advanced and other chemicals on stock are PraziPro, General Cure, and ChemiPure. Would I need to throw an actual coral dip on top of this to cover the spectrum? How long can you dip Chaeto for?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tank transfer method but instead of fish I used the chaeto and instead of tanks I used small containers and at the end I had it in tap water for 24 hours.
So far so good.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only coral dip I have on hand right now is Bayer Advanced and other chemicals on stock are PraziPro, General Cure, and ChemiPure. Would I need to throw an actual coral dip on top of this to cover the spectrum? How long can you dip Chaeto for?

a standard iodine dip should work, if you using tank water you can probably do a longer dip than you would for a coral.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tank transfer method but instead of fish I used the chaeto and instead of tanks I used small containers and at the end I had it in tap water for 24 hours.
So far so good.
Tap water will stress and melt most macro algae’s, would be curious to know how it does once in the tank?

OP
OP
Labora

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have hydrogen peroxide if that helps? I'll have to grab some Iodine dip.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have hydrogen peroxide if that helps? I'll have to grab some Iodine dip.
Hidrogen peroxide will melt it straight away best not to use it on algae

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a standard iodine dip should work, if you using tank water you can probably do a longer dip than you would for a coral.
What is the purpose of an iodine dip? I know you're supposed to dip after making frags to speed up the healing process/prevent infection, but what exactly are you trying to target with iodine?

Hydrogen peroxide is a double edged sword. Remember that it attacks indiscriminately...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back