Can you combine NP-Bacto Balance with Carbo-dosing, Kalkwasser, or Carbonate dosing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a single channel doser, but can I combine Tropic Marin's carbon dosing with a Alk/Kalk dosing supplement? (Not sure if they will combine strangely and cause issues)

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose all for 1 during the day and kalk at night with no issues.

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are asking if you can mix different supplements together so you can use just one doser?
I don't know if they would mix well and cause issues with each other.
But I would say No because you wouldn't necessarily be dosing the same amount of each supplement (e.g. you may need 8 ml of carbon dosing and 20 ml of alk) nor know what exact concentration you would be adding.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a single channel doser, but can I combine Tropic Marin's carbon dosing with a Alk/Kalk dosing supplement? (Not sure if they will combine strangely and cause issues)
If you can coordinate the dosage quantities, it might work. We did a mix of 25 % NP-Bacto-Balance and 75 % All-For-Reef and it turned out to be stable. But we have also heard that some aquarists doing other concentrations were not happy with the results. I think it depends on what the ratio is that you are mixing. And you want that ratio to match your dosing requirements. Difficult to coordinate. But it might work in the right concentrations.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok! Thanks! I actually bought a single channel doser and all for reef powder (have not set it up yet). But I could then mix the two? That would be great for me! So would you be dosing 75% of of the recommended amount? Or is that 75% of the entire solution? Sorry if it is difficult to say exactly. But I will most likely experiment with that.
My main objective is to just continuously Carbon dose without having to buy another doser, and I was really impressed with how you guys have described your carbon dosing product! :)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok! Thanks! I actually bought a single channel doser and all for reef powder (have not set it up yet). But I could then mix the two? That would be great for me! So would you be dosing 75% of of the recommended amount? Or is that 75% of the entire solution? Sorry if it is difficult to say exactly. But I will most likely experiment with that.
My main objective is to just continuously Carbon dose without having to buy another doser, and I was really impressed with how you guys have described your carbon dosing product! :)
I meant 75% of the dosing liquid. Not 75% of the dose. I hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it was 1 liter for example. I would add 0.75 liters (But full concentration) of the proper amount of all for reef, and then 0.25 liters of Bacto Balance? Or is that not correct?

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant 75% of the dosing liquid. Not 75% of the dose. I hope that makes sense.
So if it was 1 liter for example. I would add 0.75 liters (But full concentration) of the proper amount of all for reef, and then 0.25 liters of Bacto Balance? Or is that not correct?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEs, that is correct. BUT, you have to look at your requirements for both items. At that ratio, you may not be giving the system the amount of each item that is needed depending on your volume going in each day. That is the hard part to coordinate when you put them together!

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEs, that is correct. BUT, you have to look at your requirements for both items. At that ratio, you may not be giving the system the amount of each item that is needed depending on your volume going in each day. That is the hard part to coordinate when you put them together!
Hmm ok. That makes sense. Thank you so much! I most likely will just dose separately just in case. But would Elimi-NP or Reef Actif be better since they do not have Trace Elements, and therefore doing both at recommended doses would be too much? If that makes sense.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ok. That makes sense. Thank you so much! I most likely will just dose separately just in case. But would Elimi-NP or Reef Actif be better since they do not have Trace Elements, and therefore doing both at recommended doses would be too much? If that makes sense.
I think you are a little confused. Let me try to clear it up.
Reef Actif can be used at ANY PO4 concentration and along with ANY of the other products.
ELIMI NP will be used if your PO4 concentration is above 0.1 ppm.
You will want to use the NP BACTO Balance if your PO4 concentration is between 0.1 and 0.03 ppm.
The trace element issue is of no concern if you follow that scheme.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are a little confused. Let me try to clear it up.
Reef Actif can be used at ANY PO4 concentration and along with ANY of the other products.
ELIMI NP will be used if your PO4 concentration is above 0.1 ppm.
You will want to use the NP BACTO Balance if your PO4 concentration is between 0.1 and 0.03 ppm.
The trace element issue is of no concern if you follow that scheme.
Oh ok. Thank you very much. Yeah my phosphates tend to venture past 0.1, and I hope to get my PO4 consistently below 0.1. I want to preferably use 1 product, but I may get Balance and Elimi.

Or I may do NP Bacto Balance, and combine it with occasionally using a bit of phosguard (much lower than recommended amount, and not constantly). Or a little Lanthanum chloride. (Since I already have both of these products)
Would this work to effectively lower the phosphate occasionally to slightly below 0.09, and then maintain it below with Bacto Balance?
Since I do not want these products to go to waste.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Thank you very much. Yeah my phosphates tend to venture past 0.1, and I hope to get my PO4 consistently below 0.1. I want to preferably use 1 product, but I may get Balance and Elimi.

Or I may do NP Bacto Balance, and combine it with occasionally using a bit of phosguard (much lower than recommended amount, and not constantly). Or a little Lanthanum chloride. (Since I already have both of these products)
Would this work to effectively lower the phosphate occasionally to slightly below 0.09, and then maintain it below with Bacto Balance?
Since I do not want these products to go to waste.
I'll check with y scientists in Germany and get back to you. If I remember correctly, there was some reason it was not a good idea to use GFO and carbon dosing at the same time. But let me check on that and let you know what they say.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check with y scientists in Germany and get back to you. If I remember correctly, there was some reason it was not a good idea to use GFO and carbon dosing at the same time. But let me check on that and let you know what they say.
Ok, thank you so much!
Yeah I would only use a small amount to keep the levels down a bit more (and also since it takes out possible silicates). I do not have a media reactor or anything so it should not deplete the levels too fast or anything.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you so much!
Yeah I would only use a small amount to keep the levels down a bit more (and also since it takes out possible silicates). I do not have a media reactor or anything so it should not deplete the levels too fast or anything.
Here is what I heard back from Hans-Werner Balling:
Carbon dosing only has an effect on GFO, not so on Lanthanum Chloride, as far as I know. Carbon dosing consumes oxygen and lowers ORP which may reduce iron(III) to iron(II) in the GFO and in this way release phosphate. This process of phosphate release is also known from ponds and lakes which release phosphate from the bottom at the stagnant summer and winter phases and distributes the phosphate during the autumn and spring turnover. In lanthanum no such reduction mechanism, which may release phosphate, occurs.

So it sounds like a little Lanthanum Chloride would be fine. But I would stay away from using the GFO.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I heard back from Hans-Werner Balling:
Carbon dosing only has an effect on GFO, not so on Lanthanum Chloride, as far as I know. Carbon dosing consumes oxygen and lowers ORP which may reduce iron(III) to iron(II) in the GFO and in this way release phosphate. This process of phosphate release is also known from ponds and lakes which release phosphate from the bottom at the stagnant summer and winter phases and distributes the phosphate during the autumn and spring turnover. In lanthanum no such reduction mechanism, which may release phosphate, occurs.

So it sounds like a little Lanthanum Chloride would be fine. But I would stay away from using the GFO.
Ok, thank you very much! I appreciate that! :)

bkwonnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can coordinate the dosage quantities, it might work. We did a mix of 25 % NP-Bacto-Balance and 75 % All-For-Reef and it turned out to be stable. But we have also heard that some aquarists doing other concentrations were not happy with the results. I think it depends on what the ratio is that you are mixing. And you want that ratio to match your dosing requirements. Difficult to coordinate. But it might work in the right concentrations.
Hi Lou, is it Oke to dose both all for reef and Bacto balance in the same tank? Via 2
Different dosing pumps.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back