Can you DIY a protein skimmer? How?

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at protein skimmers online and they are very expensive! Was wondering is anyone had tried to create one themselves (using a purchased skimmer pump) to fit their specific needs? PCV, molded plastic, I have access to 3D printer as well if this gives anyone any ideas!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at protein skimmers online and they are very expensive! Was wondering is anyone had tried to create one themselves (using a purchased skimmer pump) to fit their specific needs? PCV, molded plastic, I have access to 3D printer as well if this gives anyone any ideas!

cool little DIY skimmer

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back a long time ago I tried to make my own. Ultimately I failed. I found that I didn't have the tools or the skills to do it properly and was wasting money attempting it. If you do find an instruction manual, price it out, you might not be saving much.

I get that many of these skimmers are ridiculous price, but the reality is the technology hasn't changed that much and the skimmers themselves are fairly well built. The only thing that really wears out is the pump.

Have you looked into used skimmers? It's one of those pieced of equipment I would buy used.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is more or less homemade. I took the enclosure from a broken one a friend gave me and gutted the pump. Then I just placed a lime wood airstone in the bottom and ran an airline to an old air pump I had lying around. I put a small valve on the airline so I can adjust it. It works great.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last 2 skimmers have been used and cost $100 or less.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy used. +1
Only thing will be you will have to replace the pump eventually anyways.

You can find 1 from pictures. Dual air stone driven. I will throw a YouTube video up.
I suggest magnets and dual airstones though vs the video. Also get a good size air pump with dual outlet.
D

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back a long time ago I tried to make my own. Ultimately I failed. I found that I didn't have the tools or the skills to do it properly and was wasting money attempting it. If you do find an instruction manual, price it out, you might not be saving much.

I get that many of these skimmers are ridiculous price, but the reality is the technology hasn't changed that much and the skimmers themselves are fairly well built. The only thing that really wears out is the pump.

Have you looked into used skimmers? It's one of those pieced of equipment I would buy used.
I hqve looked in some forums, but feel the prices are still a bit high. 1 to 3 years of use get discounted 30 to 50 dollars. I will keep looking and hopefully find something cheap. Any used equipment site recommedations on that would be appreciated!!

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is more or less homemade. I took the enclosure from a broken one a friend gave me and gutted the pump. Then I just placed a lime wood airstone in the bottom and ran an airline to an old air pump I had lying around. I put a small valve on the airline so I can adjust it. It works great.
I might try this. I have a broken husk I can use! Thanx!!!

Back