Can you dose metroplex and prazipro in the water column

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, can you dose prazipo and metroplex to the water at the same time?

I have two clowns and a coris wrasse that I added to a 40gl quarantine tank 2 days ago. My original plan was to start 30 days of copper treatment tomorrow and then follow up with two rounds of prazipro after. Well this morning I awoke to both clowns with long white strings of poop hanging from them and the larger clown swimming in the corner and breathing heavily. So I decided to start the prazipro treatment right away. In reading up some more, it seems prazipro is more effective against external parasites while metro is better at fighting internal parasites. I saw many people feed metroplex by soaking it in food but I tried soaking metroplex, focus and garlic but the larger clown is no longer eating. Can I add metro directly to the water?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API site for General Cure:

Easy-to-use fish medication contains metronidazole and praziquantel in quick-dissolve powder form. Treats a wide variety of parasitic diseases - including hole-in-the-head disease and gill and skin flukes. Will not color water. For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Each packet doses 10 gallons. Economical 850 gram bulk jar doses up to 3,270 gallons and includes a 1 tsp scoop.

Active Ingredients: 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per packet.

Directions for Use: For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newer reefer but from what I have read, I don't believe the metro will treat internal parasites unless its taken internally. The fish may be more interested in eating if you combine it with focus and with galic guard or selcon. The biggest drawback you hear to dosing prazipro and metro to the water column is a potential bacterial bloom that consumes all the oxygen. A powerhead pointed at the surface is supposed to help with this.

Again I am new so take my advice with a grain of salt but I have read extensively on this and I figured commenting would given you a bump up for someone more knowledgeable to respond.

OP
OP
Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API site for General Cure:

Easy-to-use fish medication contains metronidazole and praziquantel in quick-dissolve powder form. Treats a wide variety of parasitic diseases - including hole-in-the-head disease and gill and skin flukes. Will not color water. For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Each packet doses 10 gallons. Economical 850 gram bulk jar doses up to 3,270 gallons and includes a 1 tsp scoop.

Active Ingredients: 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per packet.

Directions for Use: For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.
So is API General cure basically a mix of prazipro and Metroplex? In other words, I should have no issues mixing the two correct?

OP
OP
Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newer reefer but from what I have read, I don't believe the metro will treat internal parasites unless its taken internally. The fish may be more interested in eating if you combine it with focus and with galic guard or selcon. The biggest drawback you hear to dosing prazipro and metro to the water column is a potential bacterial bloom that consumes all the oxygen. A powerhead pointed at the surface is supposed to help with this.

Again I am new so take my advice with a grain of salt but I have read extensively on this and I figured commenting would given you a bump up for someone more knowledgeable to respond.
I did soak it in garlic guard, no luck :(

I have a power head aimed at the surface and I have the water level a few inches down so the HOB filter creates a lot of turbulence when circulating

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see an issue however they can create a low oxygen state.
Example thread:

OP
OP
Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see an issue however they can create a low oxygen state.
Example thread:
I am going to have to give it a go because she seems to be getting worse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are total wrong - so are the sources you have read.

Why -

1) metradizonole (the active substance in metro) is lipophilic - it means it will attach to skin gills and so on and enter the body that way
2) Saltwater species are big drinkers - they drink all the time - compounds in the water will be internal accessible without eating it in soaked food. This is the reasons why many common antibiotics do not work (or need 10 fold concentrations) in the water for freshwater fish (no drinkers) - they are hydrophilic - but are excellent for saltwater species

In 1978 I begin experiment with metradizonole direct into the water in order to treat some types of tanganyika cichlids (mostly tropheus) for the african bloat. The disease is created by a flagellate from the hexamite/Spironucleus family tread and are internal parasites. These fish do not eat. We and other around the world notice that it works and metradizonole (or its relatives) is the standard treatment for african bloat (and hole in head in South american cichlid species) and because the fish seldom eats - it is used in the water.

For saltwater species - you will get a double action - both entering through skin and gills and internal through the water they drink. It will work very well at least according to the metradizonole ingredient IME. Never used prazipro by myself.

Sincerely Lasse

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back