Can you drill a tank if you drain some water out of it?

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it a couple times with no problems.

However:

I had tubs ready for Incase I cracked while drilling. I had 50+ holes under my belt before I felt comfortable doing this on a cycled tank in use. If you have glass drilling experience, you probably wouldn’t be asking this, but if you try, go slow, be gentle, take your time, and have a plan if you crack it. I’ve done it, it can be done, but it comes with risk. Light pressure, it takes time, and be gentle. I used painters tape and plastic to keep the drilling fragments out of the water. And keep it wet at all times, I used an aqua lifter (and another person to keep it pumping on the bit) to constantly pump water on the bit. With the right bit and patience it’s not too hard. But if you try it, make sure you have a back up plan for the tank if it cracks.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built 6 or 7 tanks from scratch (I've lost count already) and I've drilled a lot of tanks for other people.

What you want to do is possible. But if it were me, I'd empty the tank into a couple of holding tanks (buckets, tupperware, whatever). Then drill the tank. It's just not that big a deal, especially with a 20g tank.

Good luck.

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never drilled a tank but I wouldn’t suggest it especially if you have sandsifting inverts. Is there a way to modify the HOB to go down to the sump?
I'm not sure i follow why you're concerned with sandsifting invertebrates. Can you explain?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my 60gallon tank. I had it laid on its slide, and I was still having difficulties keeping the drill pressure even. I think drilling it while inhabitants are in it depends on how much you trust your drill and the steadiness of your own hand.

With such a small tank, I'd be inclined to put things in a big Tupperware while you are DIY'ing it and/or buy a new tank to drill. Tuperware is likely slightly smaller, and if your lady friend is anything like me, she will have plenty of things she can store in it once you are done.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Why don't you just pick up another new 20G during Petco's dollar-a-gallon, drill it and do a simple swap? Keep the other just in case.

I wouldn't risk it the way you want to do it, not by hand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are talking about drilling the back, vertical panel, how will you keep the drill/glass cool .... without making a heck of a mess. The two keys to grinding holes in a tank are going slowly and using plenty of water to prevent thermal cracking. The only time I ever ground a hole in a running tank was the middle of the glass brace on my sump ..... a nerve wracking experience. I would not do it on a display.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just pick up another new 20G during Petco's dollar-a-gallon, drill it and do a simple swap? Keep the other just in case.

I wouldn't risk it the way you want to do it, not by hand.

This is what I will be doing. The extra tank will be great for quarantine or hospital.

Shelley

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back